[TR] Prusik Peak - West Ridge 6/8/2010

Peter McCorkell

Trip: Prusik Peak - West Ridge

Date: 6/8/2010

Trip Report:

4 others and I went up Prusik Peak on Monday and Tuesday via the West Ridge route. We were lucky to have some beautiful weather for most of the trip and it made for a great climb. We left the TH at 12:50pm and reached Snow Lakes just after 5pm. The snow started at before Nada Lake, but didn’t really require gaiters until we got out on the beach around Snow Lakes.

From Snow Lakes:

IMG_0517.JPG

There was a pretty good boot track up from Snow Lakes to Lake Viviane, just make sure you don’t start heading up from the lake until you’re at the inlet to the lake. We took off from the lake a little sooner and went up and down an unnecessary 100ft or so. We reached camp at 8pm.

DSC04011.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

At 8am the next day we left camp, skirted Lake Viviane and ascended to Prusik Pass. As far as the climb goes, both Nelson and Beckey had good descriptions, and the Beckey book has a great topo. I think the key is to find the left facing dihedral in the first pitch. After scrambling a well worn and obvious crack we hopped a couple boulders to the left and belayed from there where you can see the dihedral.

DSC04026.JPG

One rope length up and left took us up to the bottom of the 5.7 friction slab. An old rusty piton protected the two or three friction moves until easier gear was found.

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

A snowy traverse took us to the bottom of the last pitch. Once gaining the large ledge, our leaders traversed right, went up to another ledge and then back left to tackle the awkward off-width crack just below the chimney at the top of the pitch. Apparently, the other party behind us never went back left and must have kept going around right, a route that seemed a little bit quicker then heading up the awkward crack. We hit he summit at about 3:30pm.

Loving Life:

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

We did one double rope rap from the top of the friction slab pitch and another single rap from the there to the snow on the north side. There were other slings and rings halfway down our first rap if you’ve only got one rope.

IMG_0686.JPG

Glissades were to be had:

IMG_0690.JPG

On the deproach we saw some sweet wildlife and were super excited about it:

untitled.JPG

Gear Notes:

Single rack

Approach Notes:

The sultan bakery has huge and delicious breakfast!

Edited by Peter McCorkell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, we did a double rope rap off from the summit(it could have been done with one rope, but you'd have to scramble down some stuff). Then we traversed back to the top of the 5.7 friction pitch where we did one double rope rap(skipping an intermediate station) and one single rope rap to the snow.

Just making sure I got the details right...

Scottgg: Yeah, nice meeting you too. Hope you guys didn't get trapped to bad in that rain that came in.

SemoreJugs: On some of the snow patches left on the route it was nice for the leader to have an axe (although that snow is disappearing quickly). Also, we saw in a TR that some folks thought axes would be nice for steep snow on the approach and immediately after rappelling. The approach was fine, and there was steep snow after the rappels, but it was soft and mushy at that point.

I did this route Saturday, and did the rappells straight down the North face onto the steep snow. Thankfully it had all slid 1-2 days prior... but the axe & boots were necessary to traverse back to the balanced rock. If I had it to do again, I'd do the rappells & traverses further West.

[video:youtube]