gone and forgotten......

Peter_Puget

nonsense, there's still plenty of time for a 80 ton mega-octopus to rise from the depths and take her down to davy jones locker

if it weren't for racist assholes like ttk, she'd have had anti-aircraft guns on board her rig to defend herself against such a possiblilty too, but nooooooo....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plane that went out and spotted her burned through full tank of gas to get there. (10,000+ gallons of fuel) That's a lot of gas to burn to find out that she lost her rig and was hanging out waiting for a rescue.

All of this reminds me so much of the high profile rescues we see in the climbing world. Yes, if it were me (or my daughter) I'd want to be rescued in that situation. However, the conditions she encountered are normal for that area of the Southern Ocean. Maybe before going into such a place they should have thought how they were going to get themselves out if they lost the rig. (Somewhat common occurrence for Open boats racing in the area)

Side note, a French fishing boat is going to go out and pick her up. How stoked are those guys going to be after being at sea for a long time. The first female they've seen in in months is a blond American bobbing around in a wrecked sailboat.

Whatever you say, TrailerMan!

Shit, I'm not even anti-trailer.

Love the Trailer Park Boys.

And movie trailers.

There ya go, you get called to the carpet and out come the insults. You're a died dyed in the wool hypocrite. You demand acceptance but judge everyone different from you. Its little wonder you have a hard time holding a marriage together.

You must be a riot at Christmas...

fixed that for you. or did you mean to say that he perished whilst schlepping a sheep?

I have radically changed my opinion of the parents:

"The family of failed teen solo sailor Abby Sunderland says they cannot afford to pay for her rescue.

Her mother, Marianne Sunderland, who is pregnant with the family's eighth child, said the family did not have the $300,000 necessary to compensate Australian rescue officials, the Courier Mail reported.

"We're not wealthy people," she said. "What price would you put on a child's life?" "

Why do they essentially ask us to value her life higher than they do? Assholes. The Aussies are not going to ask for the scratch though.

Oh, did I mention that they will be trying to cash in on this story and that "the young woman has vowed to attempt another circumnavigation"?

I have radically changed my opinion of the parents:

"The family of failed teen solo sailor Abby Sunderland says they cannot afford to pay for her rescue.

Her mother, Marianne Sunderland, who is pregnant with the family's eighth child, said the family did not have the $300,000 necessary to compensate Australian rescue officials, the Courier Mail reported.

"We're not wealthy people," she said. "What price would you put on a child's life?" "

Why do they essentially ask us to value her life higher than they do? Assholes. The Aussies are not going to ask for the scratch though.

Oh, did I mention that they will be trying to cash in on this story and that "the young woman has vowed to attempt another circumnavigation"?

Long established law of the sea means rescue of humans is free, but salvage of vessels isn't. Which is why the SoCal shitbags were soliciting donations to recover the boat :tdown:

I am not convinced that this sailor chose to be on the southern Indian Ocean in the southern winter for any reason other than the fact that she would have been older than Jessica Watson's age of completion had she waited for the better season to sail those waters.

This is the danger of fame and fortune and media obsession attached to the "youngest" claims. The World Sailing Records Council rightly refuses to accept any claims for records from anyone younger than 18. Of course that very point became part of another PR redherring pushed by the Watson team when she fell short on the distance traveled for an official around-the-world record: since she was not old enough, nobody was there to adjudicate her accomplishment, so they could conveniently drop the "shortest orthodromic track of the vessel must be at least 21,600 nautical miles" part of the rules out of their checklist, and still claim the youngest ATW. Shameful behavior... See: Section 26.1.a of Rules Book

The coverage of JW in Australia was incessant and nauseating. This circus will go on until a 15 year old or a 14 year old goes out there and finally kills herself. I am not one to say they should put off their dreams, but the focus is wrong in the whole discussion. Had these 16 year olds been encouraged to go do it, because it is the rite of passage for any future great sailor and their path to wisdom, I would have been all supportive. When the word youngest became the focal point, I was turned off.