gone and forgotten......

Peter_Puget

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"some rough weather... with winds steady at 50-45 knots with higher gusts." Wow, rough. IMO it's not fucked up to let a 16 year old go for it. We all of us die, and this will certainly be sad as hell for the parents if she doesn't make it, but it ain't over till it's over, and they'll find that boat sooner or later.

There must have been a great deal of parental enabling/pushing/prodding going on.

HELL YA EXACTLY PETER BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT WITHOUT PARENTAL FORCING THIS GIRL WOULD ONLY WANT TO BE IN HER BEDROOM WITH HER TWILIGHT POSTER CHATTING ONLINE TO HER GOTH FRIENDS :rolleyes:

Well we disagree on that but it is not that hey "let her go" do her thing. There must have been a great deal of parental enabling/pushing/prodding going on. If she's dead, she died for nothing.......

When my kids were growing up, I'd go watch them swim in the public pool with @ 300 other kids. I was always shocked that there would be 2 maybe 3 parents max, involved enough to be watching their kids.

These parents were involved with their children. Regarding this wording of yours Peter: "If she's dead, she died for nothing.......", then if you died tomorrow, you who have lived a much longer life, would you say that you had also died for nothing?

It strikes me as an incorrect and inaccurate thing to say about anyone passing if pass she did. It appears to me that it was about the process for these folks. I noticed that my kids were radically different from each other in temperament and aptitudes: and for myself, not knowing anyone involved in this story, I don't know enough to make a judgment here.

ps, funny stuff there G-spotter! :)

Are you really serious Bill?

I use to walk to the local High School pool with neighborhood kids all the time w/o parents....That said I spent lots of time with my parents....as a kid almost every weekend skiing with my family. Summers in the mountains at least for a month...... your example is just not reasonable.

And why do you say it was about the process? It seems their explicit cometition with another teeneager implies that even more important than the process was being first.

My armchair thinking says she lost all her systems during a knockdown. (com, autopilot etc) The boat is now "dark" and adrift with no way to speak to the outside word. Without access to her team ashore that is more our less guiding her across the world, she turns on the rescue beacons to call in the calvary. The boat is most likely afloat but the skipper is wrecked and doesn't feel up to the huge task of sailing the boat to safety without the assistance of electrical gadgets. (For our climbing friends this is like calling for a rescue on Hood because your iPhone stopped working and it is snowing hard. Of course now move Hood 1,000 miles offshore)

That would be the best (and most likely) scenario. The worst case is that the boat was dismasted in a knock-down and is sinking and she's in a raft in cold water. Burly. Some really strong male sailors twice her age have died in similar circumstances.

I'm sure by most measures she is a very skilled sailor with a level head but 16 yrs old is 16 yrs old. Much like the 13 yr old off to do the seven summits, there is the intractable reality of time such the the rush to be "the youngest person ever to" coorelates somewhat with "the least experienced person ever to".

I hope she's ok. I can't imagine how helpless and awful her parents must feel. Certainly I can't imagine why you would ever allow someone so young to do something so committing and dangerous.

Although I'd be more circumspect about parental responsibility (depends on the kid's amount of solo experience and I hope for their own sake the parents weren't pushy), I tend to feel like PP, which doesn't happen too often.