Wheelsets

rbw1966

I have a Lemond Poprad (cyclocross) that I use for long rides as well as daily commuting when not riding my fixie. I just noticed that the rear wheel is cracked so its time for a new wheelset.

Recommendations?

I ride pretty rough on some shitty pavement/trails. I need something durable yet lightweight. I put about 7-10K miles on my bike a year.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just laced up a velocity A23 for my rear. It's kind of a new model, it's like their aerohead rim, but 23mm wide instead of 19 or whatever. Fairly light, strong, and happily runs my 35mm tires. Or, you can just run their aerohead if you want something a little more narrow. Velocity has a touring rim called the dyad which is popular, and bombproof, but fucking heavy.

Mavic open pros are good, too. You can spend a little extra to get the ceramic ones, they will last forever. I've heard ceramic rims can brake kind of weird in the wet, though. If I were rebuilding a wheel for long rides, commuting, etc. I'd probably go this route.

But, let me ask you: Why do you need an entire wheelset? You can just buy a new rim and have your LBS put it on the rear hub you already have.

I have a Lemond Poprad (cyclocross) that I use for long rides as well as daily commuting when not riding my fixie. I just noticed that the rear wheel is cracked so its time for a new wheelset.

Recommendations?

I ride pretty rough on some shitty pavement/trails. I need something durable yet lightweight. I put about 7-10K miles on my bike a year.

If you want a pair of wheels that really hold up, forget all the trick/bs wheelsets. Go to a competant local wheelbuilder and have them build you a 36 spoke wheelset. My reccomendation would be to do Phil Wood hubs, and Velocity Dyad rims. they will not be cheap or particularly light, but they will be near bombproof!

Jim

Laced mine with 36 Sapim Laser spokes to Deep-V rims. The current set is built with DuraAce hubs. Last set had Velocity hubs. Lived on the bike with that set for a year, and it kept rolling through some memorably jarring hits suffered fast in the dark, cold rain and snow, all that: A curb, a pothole, a railroad rail. A couple hits caused denting, but none mattered much as the bike still went fast and true into the summer. In the end, the brake surfaces thinned and the bearings blew.

Recommendations?

If you want a pair of wheels that really hold up, forget all the trick/bs wheelsets. Go to a competant local wheelbuilder and have them build you a 36 spoke wheelset. My reccomendation would be to do Phil Wood hubs, and Velocity Dyad rims. they will not be cheap or particularly light, but they will be near bombproof!

Jim

I would listen to Jim if I were you, he knows his stuff.

dyad may refer to:

* dyad (biology), a pair of sister chromatids occurring in prophase I of meiosis. Can also be used to describe protein morphology using the definition here: [1].

* dyad (Greek philosophy), Greek philosopher's principle of "twoness" or "otherness"

* dyad (music), a set of two notes or pitches

* dyad (sociology), mostly refers to pairs of individuals such as couples, co-authors, twins, and so on.

* dyad pedagogy, in education.

* dyad, in engineering kinematics, a linkage in a planar mechanism that has two possible assembly modes

* dyad, in Obstetrics refers to the pregnant mother and fetus

* dyadic tensor, in mathematics