This weekends weather

frankjones

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what follows is opinion, and you know what they say about that.

IF THE NEXT DAYS PREDICTED RAIN IS ACTUALLY SNOW AND IT DUMPS FOR 3-4 DAYS AT ELEVATION, WHEN IT WARMS UP IN THE HOT DRY SUNNY DAYS PREDICTED FOR SAT AND SUN, BE ELSEWHERE. the end

Elsewhere might still be on a knife ridge in an alpine setting, steep granite probably with south facing exposure where stuff has sluffed off and has dryed out, and anything under the weeks snow level should be fantastic. 'Squitos will still be sleeping in most likely. A lot of that is dependent on Fridays weather. I was in a cirque of a Mt range once where EVERY North facing slope chose to avy within min of each other. The sun and already warmed up the south facing slopes and they had consolidated.

They're calling out this:

"An increasingly dangerous snowpack is expected at higher elevations in the Cascades and Olympics late this week, especially on the volcanoes above 7 to 8000 ft".

Which is most of the bigger volcano slogs around (and they'll be crowded too cause its nice up there when it's hot here:-) . Even then, if you get out and camp high, run up (is slogging through knee deep-thigh deep + snow running?) anything steep and be down before it warms......and that also leaves a lot still available to do safety. Or just go rock climbing. I figure that anything below 7M feet but certainly below the 3000-4000 foot level will be perfect, no 'squitos till you get to lower elevations (as of yesterday I played hooky on work so I'm attesting too it, although they may be there in a couple of days) and just the right temp for a great day if the weathermans 80 degree valley call out is accurate. Or hiking in the mid-height valleys too will be awesome.

That's my take. In fact, if it don't sluff off sat-sun, then Monday might be a great day to be on a volcano. Be safe, have fun all.

Yeah, what they all said.

This:

.TONIGHT...SHOWERS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF AN EARLY EVENING THUNDERSTORM. SNOW LEVEL 5500 FEET. .THURSDAY...SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 5500 FEET. .THURSDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 6500 FEET. .FRIDAY...BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 7000 FEET.

Followed by this:

SATURDAY...SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL RISING TO 12000 FEET. AFTERNOON

PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 60S.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL RISING TO 14000 FEET.

.SUNDAY...SUNNY. FREEZING LEVEL 13500 FEET.

...equals not good.

How do you guys think it will look on some of the non volcano cascades peaks such as eldorado or anything around there?

:lmao: Nice troll...maybe Ivan will bite.

managed to resist quite well :) actually, having just had my balls snipped last week i've been studiously avoiding the thought of putting any sorta harness contraption anywhere near me johnson (man)for awhile so deez kinda questions have all seemed rather remote n' academic :P

on the other hand, i have been wailing on "time pilot" during my 1980s arcade game renaissance teh past few dayz

hahha

ppl never learn, its June and ppl planning their weekend 4-5 days out hahahahah

Sundays weather is going to shit real quick

LONG TERM FROM THE PREV DISCUSSION...

ALL LONG TERM MODEL GUIDANCE IS ABOUT A DAY FASTER WITH A MARINE

PUSH...WITH STRONG ONSHORE FLOW LIKELY DEVELOPING SAT EVENING OR

EARLY SUN. MODELS ALSO APPEARS STRONGER WITH EACH RUN IN BRINGING A

DEEP UPPER TROUGH IN THE SE GULF OF ALASKA INTO B.C. OR WESTERN WA

hahha

ppl never learn, its June and ppl planning their weekend 4-5 days out hahahahah

Sundays weather is going to shit real quick

LONG TERM FROM THE PREV DISCUSSION...

ALL LONG TERM MODEL GUIDANCE IS ABOUT A DAY FASTER WITH A MARINE

PUSH...WITH STRONG ONSHORE FLOW LIKELY DEVELOPING SAT EVENING OR

EARLY SUN. MODELS ALSO APPEARS STRONGER WITH EACH RUN IN BRINGING A

DEEP UPPER TROUGH IN THE SE GULF OF ALASKA INTO B.C. OR WESTERN WA

Where do you get writeups like this?

[font:Arial Black]ALERT[/font]

Special Statement regarding weekend weather

Stay indoors this weekend!

Watch TV and order pizza by phone. Make sure you have enough beer and or vodka/tequila or whatever to last till Monday.

Go back to work on Monday and forget about the mountains.

NOAA NWS has superior products for the public than say Canada NWS

This is THE standard for weather briefings with graphical representation to help!!!! You can email them and tell them you support their products they will email you back, they are GREAT

The point click forecasts are poor, you should just read below, as far as I know they are just computer generated using one model for data. Read below and you will see why that can be a poor way to get your weather

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sew/gafd/latest_webafd.html

yes, to clarify the point click is a way to get a discussion for an area. ie: the point click for Mt Hood is a bit different than the one for near Baker.

hood area:

.LONG TERM..THE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE WILL LINGER INTO SUNDAY MORNING AND BEGIN TO SHIFT EAST ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER DAY OF SUNNY WEATHER AND WARMER TEMPS IS ON TAP...EXCEPT LATER IN THE DAY NEAR THE COAST. MODELS HAVE SPED UP THE MARINE PUSH ON SUNDAY...WHICH MAY KEEP HIGHS ON SUNDAY DOWN A BIT FROM SATURDAY. AS THE UPPER RIDGE AXIS CONTINUES ON EAST...ENHANCED ONSHORE FLOW SHOULD BRING SOME COASTAL LOW CLOUDS BY MONDAY.

Yes the Point-click specifically for an elevation on some peak is interpolated from the predicted and present data from the nearest weather station, I believe. It is not terribly accurate for instance getting the forecast for 10,000ft on Mt Adams, at all, but at the same time can offer some general ideas, though the forecast discussion is where the meat of 'whats up' is.

As said above, always get the zone discussion. That's actually a human meteorologist interpreting the data and making adjustments to the model forecast, rather than just the computer model forecast alone, which is the point forecast as far as I know.

In Oregon, for instance, the southern Cascades zone forecast is almost always better than the model's point forecasts.