FREE DARRINGTON SLIDESHOW 6/16/10

DavidW

FREE DARRINGTON SLIDESHOW! 6/16/10

Please join us at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue on Wednesday, June 16, at 7:00PM for a slideshow presentation by Chris Greyell & David Whitelaw to celebrate release of the second edition of Rattle & Slime: Selected Rock Climbs of Darrington, Washington.

Darrington pioneers Greyell and Whitelaw will share pictures and stories from more than 35 years of climbing on these spectacular granite domes. Come see grainy old pictures from back-in-the-day and bright modern ones from all the new stuff in Squire Creek. At intermission we’ll raffle-off a pack from Deuter, a rope from Tendon and a copy of the new guidebook.

Come for the free gear, or come for beta on the great new routes and network with the locals, we’d love to see you there!

Please RSVP at MARMOT MOUNTAIN WORKS: 425-453-1515

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a really good slide show last night. I can't believe nobody else has reviewed it here, so here goes. There were wonderful photos and stories of the upper Squire Creek climbs by Chris Greyell. jmclimber and I resolved then and there to get up to Salish Peak this summer. There were background stories about all the Clear Creek crags by David Whitelaw, complete with historical photos. And a trip down memory lane for me with the photos and stories of Slab Daddy.

Memorably, I got a chance to meet one of my heros, Don Brooks. I followed his white guidebook around the crags for several years, in the beginning. I showed him his bolt from the original first pitch of Silent Running he placed in 1973. If you're interested, there is a closeup of it over in the Revolver TR in the North Cascades section. It's the Leeper hanger with the little crack from the edge to the bolt hole. We had a laugh over that; he said there were nice SMC hangers available then, but not as cheaply! Whitelaw showed a great photo of Don pulling the initial overlap on that pitch on the FA.

Thanks, David and the crew at Marmot Mountain Works, for an informative and enjoyable evening!

• 2 weeks later...