New Index Climbing Video

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, even more bolts have been added to the climb. gotta love 'em right next to cracks. time to pay a visit.

What he said.

In the wide world of bolt-lameness, bolting next to cracks is perhaps the lamest of the lame.

crowbar.jpg

It looks like you had a lot of fun making that movie, though.

MOMENTUM!

tell him to watch for the rope getting behind his heels!

I was focusing on not peeling and dying. Heels schmeels. :grin:

I don't wish to detract from the excellent video, or potential ensuing (and repeated) bolt war, but wish to make the following PSA:

dear climbing brethren: just put the rope outside your leg whenever possible unless your pro is fall line and your legs straddle it for a clean fall. make light of it but you set yourself up unnecessarily to get flipped by the rope and smash noggin upon rock. too many people let their friends do this IMHO.

it's a pet peeve to me how many people repeatedly run the senseless and avoidable risk of turning a short and safe fall into a trip to the hospital or worse. it drives me nuts how often I have to remind friends who have been climbing for a decade or more of this, but I won't stop nagging and they do occasionally thank me for caring about them.

damn, even more bolts have been added to the climb. gotta love 'em right next to cracks. time to pay a visit.

ahhh nooooo!!! No bolts!!!!!

What he said.

In the wide world of bolt-lameness, bolting next to cracks is perhaps the lamest of the lame.

crowbar.jpg

It looks like you had a lot of fun making that movie, though.

MOMENTUM!

Not sure if you have climbed this route, but I wouldn't trust cams in the crack, which more of a thin flake. A good full could bust the flake, but each to their own.

Any of you want to go climb it tomorrow? I would love to see how it is led only with gear. Yes, I am calling you out. :shock:

I can leave from lynnwood around 11:00 am tomorrow. Give me a call tonight, anytime, since I work until 0400. (I am driving out to index anyway tomorrow to borrow some gear from a buddy, so throwing someone else in my car isn't a big deal. I drive, you lead. Not sure if I can lead that route anymore, but would love to get a TR on it.)

Kevin

425-802-3100

I don't mean to sound so harsh. Seriously, if you guys want to climb tomorrow, call me. My regular partners are working.

Not sure if you have climbed this route, but I wouldn't trust cams in the crack, which more of a thin flake. A good full could bust the flake, but each to their own.

Any of you want to go climb it tomorrow? I would love to see how it is led only with gear. Yes, I am calling you out. :shock:

I can leave from lynnwood around 11:00 am tomorrow. Give me a call tonight, anytime, since I work until 0400. (I am driving out to index anyway tomorrow to borrow some gear from a buddy, so throwing someone else in my car isn't a big deal. I drive, you lead. Not sure if I can lead that route anymore, but would love to get a TR on it.)

Kevin

425-802-3100

I don't mean to sound so harsh. Seriously, if you guys want to climb tomorrow, call me. My regular partners are working.

OOhh! Callin' us all out to climb a lamely conceived sport-climb at Index! OOhhh! Well if it's top-ropable, then it's 10 times lamer to bolt a crack, and you're only endorsing that crap if you climb those clips!

Just sayin'!

It's not like it's a bolted splitter, or as if bolting cracks is the norm since Stunt got bolted. It climbs nicely, and doesn't detract from the sense of adventure at Index.

The reason this route got bolts seems obvious, and the reason most others don't is pretty obvious too.

cunning stunt is a really fun climb that protects well with gear. and yes, i've lead it without bolts on multiple occasions.

the "flake" you mention takes solid gear low and left, creating very little torsion at that point.

the reason i get a little irked about its bolt status is because it was originally lead with very little fixed gear (one bolt and one pin?), but somehow bolts kept appearing (and reappearing), thanks to the same fellow who bolted angora grotto, a hand-crack, and other gear protectable climbs at index. this same fellow went so far as to bolt on a plastic hold on a route in the cave at nason ridge, a route that i subsequently climbed without its use.

and yes, i think raindawg could lead cunnning stunt with gear too, since he's been training and is getting close to 5.13. he has momentum.