Burns Area Climbers?

justinp

Any of you out there? I am kicking around the idea of applying for a district engineering detail in Burns Oregon. This makes sense from a career standpoint…. However, quality of life is as or more important to me than my career. Seems like Burns is pretty much in B.F.E. So I’m wondering what the heck is out there worth climbing? Far as I can tell besides the Steins, which appears to have little climbing opportunities, the Bend area is the closest thing with any climbing (2.5 hours away). Anyone want to pipe in with some info?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leslie Gulch is not all that far in a relative sense, and there are a ton of other big spires along the Owyhee. I will be down on the Owyhee all next week with the wife. Be assured, while burns lacks the "culture" of the west side, outdoor pursuits are boundless.

Shappart_Owyhee_2009_97_.JPG

219.JPG

314.JPG

58.JPG

125.JPG

Edited by shapp

wow, thanks for the Leslie Gulch photos. Justin, I will visit if you move there

No this is the lower owyhee river upstream of Lake Owyhee. about 20 milss up river from Leslie gulch.

I am off for a 5 day float trip (through some of the most amazing desert in Oregnon, hot springs, etc.) on the Owyhee tomorrow morning. Should have a bunch of photos when I return.

Shapp

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Shapp, next year shoot me a note if ya go down the Owyhee. I'll drag my boat and gear over from SLC and join ya. I have not been on the Owyhee since Carter was president!!! And now that the wife has a boat it will be easy ...

Fore sure, TR posted, send me an email next spring for a reminder

jshappart at g mail d o t c o m

Edited by shapp