Rope found in Index?

Nwdiver

One of my climbing buddies left his rope in the parking area at Index,WA on Sunday (5/6/01).

If anyone has found a dirty purple climbing rope could you please let me know?

I know it is a long shot, but what the heck.

Thanks!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey dude,

this doesn't really help probably, but I left the parking lot yesterday around 5 PM and I saw your rope sitting on a rock where the path out of the parking lot heads up to the railroad tracks.

I figured whoever's rope it was was around someplace. Hope your bro gets it back.

Here's a couple of true Index stories:

While climbing a route in the Country I can across a RP in a crack along with three sets of RP and a carabiner. Being a poor climber I was psyched and thought what great booty. Later that night I started thinking what the loser was thinking as he was quite likely equally poor. So I made few phone calls and a few hours later someone called who I never met saying he was the "loser." I returned them via a mutual friend.

A few years later I left my pack at the base of Town Walls. The next day coming home my mother said "some guy" called and dropped off my pack. I didn't even realize I had forgotten it. That some guy didn't know me from adam and found out who I was via phone calls that asked: "anyone know who has a brown pack?"

I disagree with the "you lose" attitude being expressed here.

There's a difference, in my book, between abandoning gear on a route versus leaving it on a rock in the parking lot. Cleaning gear that another party abandoned is great. Taking ropes out of the parking lot is lame.

Anyway, everyone likes finding booty, but who wants a used rope whose history you do not even know?

I hope you get your friend's rope back, Nwdiver, and I hope that this site remains a place where folks can post lost and found messages without getting unhelpful responses.

A few years ago while climbing the Dark Crystal, I found a #3 friend on the route. It took a little fiddling , but eventually came out. It had remnants of blue spray paint on it (which I scraped off.) The next season while bouldering at Bruce's Boulder, I saw a guy with a rack of gear painted the same color. I asked him if he had ever done the Dark Crystal route. He eyed me suspiciously for a moment and then responded with "Did you get that Friend out?" I told him I had. He just shrugged and went back tyo belaying his partner. His partner seemed rather perturbed that I knew who's gear it was and didn't offer to give it back.

The owner KNEW that it was no longer his gear. He abandoned it. I found and retrieved it. If I had found that Friend in the parking lot I would have seen it as lost, not abandoned and would have offered it to him.

when i was starting out i left a stopper of my friends at the base of a climb. and the verbal and mental abuse that followed was enough for me to never make that mistake again. (knock on wood!) if you can't keep track of your rope! you better be checking buddies knots and belay configuration. or maybe slow down on the herbal consumption, cause a rope is hard to miss.

hopefully everyone can learn from mr nwdiver's friends mistake.

Man, I really hate that juvenile "watch your back" attitude... don't get me wrong, I've bootied my share of gear from climbs when it was impossible to know who's it was. BUT: if you have even a *clue* to who it belongs to, don't fool yourself: you are stealing. You may be OK with this, it's your call. But don't try to justify your greed by saying "I deserve it 'cause I'm such a rad climber" or "only gumbies leave gear."

Yes, leaving your rope in the parking lot or an easily removable cam in a crack is a bonehead mistake. Maybe they even "deserve" to lose their stuff as punishment. But remember: just because they "deserve" to lose the gear doesn't mean you "deserve" to keep it.

Forrest

I've rapped on jam knots just to avoid leaving a stopper. I mean a stopper thats a couple six packs of Rainier. If your so rich and or lazy you can't be bothered to figure out how to remove gear then you deserve to loose it.

Leaving a rope or something else in a parking lot is different. No matter what your herb consumption is, everyone does dumb stuff from time to time.

I definately wouldn't take a strange climbing rope. Unless I needed to tow my car. grin.gif

thanks cavey! i never said that i go around looking for gear or the what not, i am just stating the obvious. i don't even give a shit about someone else leaving their gear. i am relating what i have learned/experienced. i will always hold true to what i posted above.

and i will debate with you about the stealing thing. it might be morally wrong to hold on to someones lost/stuck/forgotten, but not leagally, unless you aquired it while commting an illeagal act.

i don't know, caveman, his point seems pretty clear.

So if you find someone's wallet on the ground, do you say "OH BOY! BOOTY!"...or do you do the right thing and try to get it back to the owner?

Deliberately leaving something behind is one thing. But we've all forgotten stuff, so have some compassion.

Did I call him a thief? I was trying to make a point about "found" gear is all.

So what is your point? Erik doesn't forget things anymore, and Captain Caveman has money so he doesn't need to steal (meaning otherwise you would?).

Reality is that forgotten gear is usually a goner, but I'm only suggesting that it needn't be so cut and dried if you happen to be the finder. Don't take it so personally.

And speaking of personally, Erik, what's the symphony comment supposed to mean? I assume you looked at my profile which lists my "home" as Issaquah. That is a partial truth. So if that was meant to separate you and me as the rich stuffy guy from the eastside vs. the homey from Tacoma who's walked the hard mile, put a lid on it until you know what you are talking about, BRO. Of course, you might be half kidding, but since I got two "rolling eyes" faces from you two, and a "whatever dude" I assume otherwise.

w- anomomyous

it is pure sarcasm...just as pure as uncut colombian cocaine. cool.gif

erik- not anomomyous

everyone can chill out. cause i got my own gear. and unless i find new offset aliens or a couple of big bros i ain't interested.

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 05-08-2001).]

another thing:

tacoma rocks! i have a view of mt rainier and pay no rent. i don't care if you are rich, poor, white, black, asian, hispanic, gay, straight, a mtneer, a wac, a free spirited trustafarian, vegan, dmeocrat, republican, homey, square or what.

no ones personal income is even important to me (unless you want to give it to me. grin.gif)

so no matter what if you lose your climbing gear, your old lady or the what not and i find it i am going to give it to an unfortunate bro, who needs it.

what is that a woman. i can also fix your cam for free if you buy me some beer.

by the way my mom plays the banjo for the symphony maybe i can get you a dumpster near the street corner. i am sure that there will be plenty of "stuff" you can use in the dumpster as well.