Using a bivvy instead of tent on Rainier?

olemissrebel

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

downclimbing the cassin would blow, so would the willis wall for that matter :)

sure, you should always be able to bail off your route, one way or the other - but transecting a mtn really is surreal - the ptarmigan ridge climb i did a # of years still sticks out in my mind as a fantastically cool experience, one that would have been less impressive if we'd just descended from the liberty cap...

Ya, I agree on the tent issue but not so much the other one Matt. Nice idea but falls are more likely to occur on the decent when everyone is tired. Getting off any of the n. side climbs by down climbing isn't the smartest option imo.

I've carried over a couple of times from the north and only bivied on the summit once. And that was a bad plan in retrospect. Did it the first time and thought better of it the next. We should have and could have just walked down to Ingraham flats or part way down the Emmons to 12K and spent the night in relative comfort. Over all, either would have been less of an effort than the bivy at 13,800 just under liberty Cap.

Have to agree with Ivan. Best trips I have done on Rainier have been n. side climbs going down either the Kautz or DC. Those climbs seemed more like real mtn adventures.

• 2 weeks later...