Looking For Experienced Climbers for Mt. Rainier

emalclimber

I am looking for 1-2 experienced climbers to Summit Rainier. Our group consists of 6 guys committed and possibly 2 more. We all played college football together and are planning on making the summit on July 30th-August 1st. Most of us live in the Seattle area and South. We are interested in training hikes as well. Please email me if you are interested in summiting. I already have climbing permits. I can be reached at emal_cowboy@hotmail.com.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 2 of us are Captains in the US ARMY with 2 tours to Iraq each. But hey I guess your weekend camping trips make you an athlete. Not sure why you have to get negative, we are just looking for good people to climb with. Looks like we can count you out.

You guys don't need experienced climbers to summit Rainier really. you can follow the trail to the summit. Just in case, practice a pulley haul setup in case someone goes in a big crack in the snow and make sure you have redundant gear with you. In other words, if the pulley goes into the ice with the climber, it will be real hard to use it up top. Other then that, its all about getting up real early and and getting going and being in shape to do the hike. Send it when conditions are ripe!

Well 2 of us are Captains in the US ARMY with 2 tours to Iraq each. But hey I guess your weekend camping trips make you an athlete. Not sure why you have to get negative, we are just looking for good people to climb with. Looks like we can count you out.

I have a cousin in Iraq currently, my brother is on his way and I have an uncle who did 2 tours in O.I.L the first time around. My brother has also done a shit ton of advanced combat/Air Assault/ etc.etc. and tells me without a doubt that climbing a big volcano in less than optimal conditions is harder than anything else he's ever done. My uncle and cousin are not the least bit interested in it and tell me that I'm obviously fucking crazy and or stupid for climbing mountains. Not saying you can't do it but I'm trying to point out that being in the military isn't really gonna help you out all that much up there other than the fact that it might have taught you a little about suffering.

Weekend camping trip...really? :lmao:

The idea that being a football player is somehow relevant to your abilities to function up there...now that's just plain laughable. It's usually the bigger dudes that burn out first.

:wave:

Who said anything about being big dudes? The relevance was merely stating the facts of our group and our similarities. It was our common bond that was driving our weekend getaway and wanted who ever was climbing with us to know a little about our back story. No body said anything about doing a tour making us more equipped to make our summit. It was a comment about football not being athletic, but thanks for your comments.

What is it with people looking to puff their chests and create conflict. We are simply trying climb a mountain. One that we stare at every day and have yet to climb. I hope your post improved your day.

"the military isn't really gonna help you out all that much up there other than the fact that it might have taught you a little about suffering"

You think? Climbing mtns is all about suffering and team work. Your guys will have that down.

Good climbers plan climbs just as you would a military op. Screw the strap hangers. A good team is a good team not matter what the objective is.

Not particularly interested in doing Rainier again with a big group..btdt. But if you need any help getting organised send me a PM and we can easily do it over email or the phone.

You guys only need someone to follow the weather and conditions and make a decision. And to make sure you don't take too much gear. Army rucks are way too heavy and generally redundant. It is a literal trail out of Muir. Takes more effort on the timing and being/staying aware of your buddy's condition than it does making signifigant decisions once out of Muir.

Hey Emalclimber,Im also Army plus climber. Look over the spray coming from some of these cats, i find that most "climbers" are either rich college kids, punks that are trying to "find themselves" or truly outstanding ambitious individuals that have no need to talk shit to prove themselves. Ive been on rainier twice and agree with dane. On patrol you Officers want us to pack for armageddon. wrong answer. Pack what you need, distribute team gear such as one stove, not one stove per each climber"not to insult your intelegence", make sure you got enough gear for crevasse rescue and glacier travel, and get a weather check. Once at Muir, talk to other climbers and make a decision. If you choose to go on up just follow the hord's up the D.C.i.e you dont need 5 2 quart canteens,lol!

emalclimber;

Haven't been up Rianier for some time, so I don't think I could help you there. However I want to thank you, your buddies, and all the men and women who serve us and keep us and many others free. THANK YOU and good luck!

Have any of you done any climbing before? You should climb Mt. Adams (south side) in early July. If you're in shape, you can do it in a day. Just start early so you're not up there when it's too hot. Ropes, crampons, stoves not necessary. Just bring sandwiches, warm jackets and water filters.

Split into two rope teams, make sure everyone knows crevasse rescue and ice axe arrest, and go for it. You are essentially asking for someone to guide you up the peak...either you are ready for it (go alone) or you are not (hire a guide or become ready for it).

1. Can you haul your unconscious buddy out of a crevasse?

2. Can you arrest two climbers tied to you sliding down the hill out of control?

3. Do you know what to do if one of your partners gets altitude sickness?

I'd recommend, however, practicing on some smaller glaciated peaks first. If that goes well, head for Rainier.

-Mark

Hey emalclimber, I started climbing in the NW with Dane and he knows his shit. Take advantage of that. I now live in London England and if you guys want to really have fun, climb and have someone show you how to butcher the french language look me up and we'll scramble up the Gouter route on Mont Blanc. bon jour!

I laughed when I saw the London thing thinking I should hook you up with Fulton...then realised it was Fulton writing!

He has a quick way off the Gouter that few know but you guys will recognise and just love :)

How ya doing Dave?

Emalclimber,

This is the same advice I give to everyone stating "looking for someone to take us up Rainier." Are you looking to become mountaineers, or a one time, did that, summit of Rainier with no other real goals or aspirations after that?

If you are the former, I say start smaller, gain experience and do Rainier on your own (independent, not solo) in a couple of years. Well worth the wait, and you guys will truly be alpine climbers. Want a killer, easy glacier climb? Start with Ruth Mountain in July or August.

If your goal is a single summit of Rainier, then you are done with climbing, use a guide service. Yes, it is expensive, but really is your life not worth $1000? If you think differently, read about the avalanche that just happened. Independent soloist missing, 11 people buried, and the recurring theme is that guides dug out most people. I bet they have seen stuff like this, and are fast to organize rescues and searches.

With a guide service like RMI, you know you are getting experienced guides. Finding some random guy on the internet is a lot like letting your 14-year old daughter pickout her first date through a chatroom...stupid. You don't know if you are getting a stud, or a flake who talks a good game. Your life is worth more than $1000. Work some overtime or a side job this summer, book a climb for next summer, and you will not regret it ever.

Rainier can be a walk up, until shit happens. When shit happens (i.e. your internet "guide" plunges into a crevasse and is injured, what now? you are screwed) you want people who know what they are doing. The guide services know what they are doing.

I am in now way affiliated with any guide services, I just get tired of seeing people try to take the cheap way up, risking themselves and others. Yes, others. when your team gets hurt, who do you think stops to help you? Thats right, the guided climbs stop their climb to rescue your ass, ending any chance of success for their team. Don't be that person.

What is it with people looking to puff their chests and create conflict. We are simply trying climb a mountain. One that we stare at every day and have yet to climb. I hope your post improved your day.

I hope their posts improve YOUR day.

Yes, we tend to post in the critical bent around here (it seems to be an Internet phenomenon-particularly where people post anonymously) but there is a fair amount of good advice appearing here. (Even from Need-To-Climb, who once attacked me rather savagely for no good reason but that he saw that I was posting something indicating that I'd been an idiot.)

That mountain we stare at every day is awesome. Good luck with your climb!