Shasta questions???

arkansas

I don't know if this is the right place to ask or if it would be better in the Cali section, but I'm a newbie so figured I would start out here.

Anyway, I'm heading to CA in a month to see a friend and just thought Shasta would be a nice excursion. I don't really know a thing about the mountain except that avalanche gulch is the pace line. My google-fu must be off because I know there has to be more info out there than just the routes and elev.

I haven't climbed in a few years, but I learned the ropes on Eldorado and Baker and used a guide up Kautz. Not a pro by any means. The friend is a total beginner though - nothing but hiking.

Thoughts?

-justin

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

probably info you've already seen but I think the draw of that route you mentioned is the ski descent. I've never actually done it as airlines charge $xxx for surfboard or skis, anyways I've heard it is great & won some awards for longest/steepest alpine ski descent in ????

there are some other technical routes on the other side of the mountain; I was down that area a few months back and was looking at a route that approached from SE side (crazy direction to get to the trailhead... not from the main road where bunny flats, but on the other side 1000 turns on forest roads). We never made it out there though as we did Garfield peak up in Crater Lake & some hiking in redowwds instead...

best of luck

Edited by surferclimber

Arkinsaw, shasta is a good intro to the higher elevations. 14,000 ft is not to underestimated however. People do strange things when their brains are deprived of oxygen. The route up AG is not technical, just know how to self arrest. Sounds like you would be ok on it, but for a TOTAL noob, this is not the best first mountain. take your partner up something that is easier to bail off of first to make sure he/she is ok with skills and altitude.