Adams Glacier Access

bpesnell

Anyone have a guess as to what the access to the Killen Creek Trailhead will be in about 2 weeks? I have a Adams Glacier climb scheduled for the week of June 20.

Forest Service has FS 23 open 1/2 mile north of the junction with FS 90, which seems to still be a good ways from the Killen Creek Trailhead.

Mt. Adams climbing report from today was not very promising either. Seems like the snow is still falling hard.

What are the chances this route will be accessible in 2 weeks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an alternate access to the Killian creek trailhead that tends to open up

Directions -

Leave Randle south on Forest Service Road 23.

After a long stretch there will be a Y intersection with FS 21 going left and road FS 23 going right. Take FS 21.

You will stay on FS 21 for a little over 4 ½ miles, and then you will reach another Y intersection, Here FS 21 goes left and FS 56 goes right. A problem is that I couldn’t see any marker for FS 56. However at the Y there is a sign pointing to the right that says “Cody Horse Camp 5 Mi”

Take FS 56.

Another check is shortly after you get on FS 56 you will pass the Adams Fork Campground.

Shortly after that there is another Y with FS 56 going left and FS 5601 going right. Stay left on FS 56.

In 4 ½ miles at a 90 degree angle to the right is FS 5603. It is marked on a small sign halfway in the bushes on the right of the road. Take FS 5603.

In about 5 miles you will reach a four way intersection. FS 5603 continues on and the cross road is FS 2329. FS 2329 is a rough dirt road. Turn right on FS 2329.

You will then drive on this road until you are stopped by snow. We passed Keenes Horse Camp and passed the turn off to Horseshoe lake and got stopped by snow just before the road crosses Killen Creek and the Killen campground. From here it is about a half a mile walk to the Killen Creek trail head. It will be on your left.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW we went in and climbed the Pinnacle Headwall yesterday. We went in via the Sled/Reily and found snow once you get to the Reily/Reily Cutoff junction at about 4k. From there, there is snow on the trail intermittently. One will travel a fair amount on snow above 5k. It is nicely consolidated. Great avys down the Salmon/Avy Glacier.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I too were up the Killen TH Saturday into late Sunday night - we climbed the NWR/NFNWR variation. Snow began within the first mile up the TH, but the boot tracks were solid all the way to timberline.

My brother and I too were up the Killen TH Saturday into late Sunday night - we climbed the NWR/NFNWR variation. Snow began within the first mile up the TH, but the boot tracks were solid all the way to timberline.
Must have been you guys we saw on the ridge as we were climbing. Unless you were the skier pair further down the ridge-line as we descended. How was the snow up top?