Netbooks

tvashtarkatena

4GB of DDR3 RAM, 360GB hard drive, independent graphics with a 13" laptop when a comparably-priced netbook will only get you an anemic 1GB RAM and 1 GHz processor. Look at the HP Pavilion DM3. $550 bucks and you get a real laptop that you will actually use. Very thin, metal body, 8 hour battery, and, most important, a solid keyboard with no bounce. HDMI socket too. I had a Nokia netbook--gave it away.

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DM3-1140US-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B00318CG8M/ref=sr_1_1/189-9841852-2743161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275548177&sr=8-1

My 2 cent.

Also: keep in mind that the "starter" version of Win7 that comes with most netbooks is limited. Won't run more than 3 applications at once--and then, not very well.

I bought my netbook for use in a month-long trial in Montana. I was able to run Outlook, Word and surf the web (via wifi) all at the same time. I also connected it to a projector to run powerpoints, slide shows and video. I paid $200 for it. Its definitely not my primary computer but for traveling I've been super happy with it. Its been to Europe a few times and spent a month bouncing around in my backpack in South America.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf runs her small business off a netbook, seems fine for everything except graphics intensive stuff. She has a full size wireless kb/mouse and 19" monitor to dock to when at the office desk. Make sure you get lots of HD space though, as that is one issue we have run up against.

I have an 11" Samsung that does just that.

Super portable, fits in a glove box, takes SD cards.

Consumer Reports scored it really good.

Likely doesn't have the processing power to run Win 7. Runs XP just fine though.

Newer (more expensive) would have 3G and HDMI outs.

4GB of DDR3 RAM, 360GB hard drive, independent graphics with a 13" laptop when a comparably-priced netbook will only get you an anemic 1GB RAM and 1 GHz processor. Look at the HP Pavilion DM3. $550 bucks and you get a real laptop that you will actually use. Very thin, metal body, 8 hour battery, and, most important, a solid keyboard with no bounce. HDMI socket too. I had a Nokia netbook--gave it away.

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DM3-1140US-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B00318CG8M/ref=sr_1_1/189-9841852-2743161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275548177&sr=8-1

My 2 cent.

Also: keep in mind that the "starter" version of Win7 that comes with most netbooks is limited. Won't run more than 3 applications at once--and then, not very well.

I bought my netbook for use in a month-long trial in Montana. I was able to run Outlook, Word and surf the web (via wifi) all at the same time. I also connected it to a projector to run powerpoints, slide shows and video. I paid $200 for it. Its definitely not my primary computer but for traveling I've been super happy with it. Its been to Europe a few times and spent a month bouncing around in my backpack in South America.

Yea. I think my expectations may have been a little too high as far as power/speed. I used MS Office apps w/o problem, but in the days before digital versions (like, 6 months ago) it was a pain in the ass downloading trial versions off the web and then trying to use my home key code to legitimize. I finally went out and bought a USB powered CD/DVD drive. I think my daughter has since wiped the hard drive and installed XP.