Sickly Yosemite accident

billcoe

I don't know how YOSAR works, but when I was volunteering with EMR, the Everett County Sheriff was CRYSTAL clear that a dead body = crime scene, and don't even TOUCH it until you get the go ahead.

So the sherrif made it crystal clear you should just walk away and go about your business on stumbling upon a body?

Rob is talking about SAR folks in the field. You don't walk away. You radio to the deputy and await further orders.

For the general public, common sense and good karma would dictate reporting the body as soon as practicably/safely possible, for the sake of the body, the family, and any search efforts. But I believe, unless it is work-related or caused by you, you are not legally obligated to report a crime, serious injury, or death.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no? good samaritan laws -- aren't they to hold observers of crime/injury/death to some degree of responsibility and protect those who come to aid from some degree of litigation when they are attempting to offer aid when there are no other options/first on the scene/observed it happen.

maybe no such laws in cali

But I believe, unless it is work-related or caused by you, you are not legally obligated to report a crime, serious injury, or death.

I believe failure to report a crime is in fact a crime in Washington. It is probably seldom used, more as a carrot and the stick with witnesses of murders

Contrary to common law, eight states have laws requiring people to help strangers in peril: Florida,[10] Massachusetts,[11] Minnesota,[11] Ohio,[statute verification needed] Rhode Island,[11] Vermont,[11] Washington,[11] and Wisconsin.[statute verification needed] These laws are also referred to as Good Samaritan laws, despite their difference from laws of the same name that protect individuals that try to help another person.[1] These laws are rarely applied, and are generally ignored by citizens and lawmakers.[1]

wiki

Duty to rescue

Can we just be clear that they did NOT abandon a living person in peril?

Everybody keeps going in that direction. What they did may be objectionable, but it's not the same thing as abandoning an injured, LIVE human. It's just not.

To be clear:

find a live, injured person? call for help, administer first aid

find a dead person? rob the body, move on, call in when convenient.

There's that old story (maybe I heard this from Dru) about how Yvon Chouinard and his partner climbed a Valley route a year after a guy died on it, and the body was still up there on a ledge. Chouinard led that pitch, did the mantle onto the ledge where the body was, and all was quiet.

Looooong minutes later, a faint "fuuuuuuuck!" drifted down the cliff.

"What?" yelled Chouinard's belayer.

"His jacket's too small for me!"

There's that old story (maybe I heard this from Dru) about how Yvon Chouinard and his partner climbed a Valley route a year after a guy died on it, and the body was still up there on a ledge. Chouinard led that pitch, did the mantle onto the ledge where the body was, and all was quiet.

Looooong minutes later, a faint "fuuuuuuuck!" drifted down the cliff.

"What?" yelled Chouinard's belayer.

"His jacket's too small for me!"

That story floats around every campfire... the version I heard went something like... he mantles onto the ledge and his belayer heard a "SKUUUUULLLLLLLLL" just as the head hurtled past him.

It sounds like the guys were already on the route and climbing when they spotted the dead body in the trees, the guy obviously deceased. They finished the route and reported the body. It is sad the bears got to the body, but when someone is dead, they are dead and reporting the body a couple hours sooner would not have brought the person back. There generally is no urgency unless it is a crime, and probably it seemed pretty obvious that it was not.

It sounds like the guys were already on the route and climbing when they spotted the dead body in the trees, the guy obviously deceased. They finished the route and reported the body. It is sad the bears got to the body, but when someone is dead, they are dead and reporting the body a couple hours sooner would not have brought the person back. There generally is no urgency unless it is a crime, and probably it seemed pretty obvious that it was not.

I believe, that is an incorrect interpretation of events. He was where he fell when they found him. They then took pictures and did their three pitches. Between the time they left his body and it was recovered, the bears ate his body and hauled what remained of it up the tree.

What I found interesting was how...

1) a very factual account of what happened was posted on the internet.

2) family members came online looking for information

3) family members found information, then asked for it to be removed because it wasn't the sort of information they wanted to hear.

The internet if anything is a vast bastion of unfiltered information. Seems like a lot of people struggle with that.

Frankly...we might all "struggle with it" a bit if it was our own nephew or niece (or son or daughter)...etc. How we each would respond would vary...but I'm not about to criticize anyone for having some trouble dealing with this kind of news. It's horrible and sad. We all cope how we can. Some with more emotion than others. So why the criticism? We are not involved. Let the family deal.

I believe, that is an incorrect interpretation of events. He was where he fell when they found him. They then took pictures and did their three pitches. Between the time they left his body and it was recovered, the bears ate his body and hauled what remained of it up the tree.

Speculation or fact?

Speculation I would bet. Bears don't generally haul food up trees, they bury it.

Agreed. I read that he fell into the tree. But that post has been removed by some censoring douchebag.

At the request of the aunt of the deceased, who said that the facts, and the discussion, would "destroy her sister" if she read them, which is something that a grieving person might do in their despair, fuckhead, after their son died and got eaten by a bear, and some stupid cunts did nothing except kept climbing. Do you have kids? Would you want a bunch of ass clowns endlessly debating the tragic and gruesome death of your child in a public forum?

sure would love to see the actual events. Not sure why anybody thinks it's better to hide them.

You'd "love" to see the actual events? Watch Faces of Death instead. And have some sensitivity in the future, or you'll continue to come off like the douchebag.