Lost Jacket on Tiger

CascadeClimber

Well, CC the gear gumby is at it again. Sometime in early April I made an evening hike up Tiger and left my green Marmot Gtex jacket in the OSAT meeting area near the top of West Tiger 3. I really need to get the jacket back, and would be quite appreciative if the person who found it would step forward.

Feeling disgusted with myself-

CC

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I will stand up and be counted. I climb and I haven't once partaken. It seems to me if you can't get your mind altered just by being out in the mountains, maybe you need to stay home in the city and get stoned. Okay, bring on the flame fest!

Nancy R? Are you getting political on me now? Hey, you're free to smoke as much dope, drink as much beer, and ingest as much of whatever else as you want to. Personally, I have never seen the need to "enhance" the experience w/ chemicals when I'm in the mountains climbing because it seems just perfect the way it is. I think it shows a lack of imagination or creativity that you have to be high to enjoy something. Try reality, it's not so bad.

Hey NolanR have you ever been having a good time and thought "This would be even more fun if..."? Don't knock it till you've tried it. You owe it to yourself to partake at least once so you know what it is you're spraying about. Remember, "the first one's free!"

You know, that whole "You have to try everything once" motto for life seems a little overrated. Let me tell you a little story. Back in about '86 there was a stud basketball player at the Univ. of Maryland named Len Bias. At the conclusion of his college career, he was a high draft pick of the Boston Celtics (top 5). To celebrate that night, he partied with some friends and by the accounts I saw tried cocaine for the first time ever. He died of an overdose. Not so cool. Now I've never heard of anybody dying of a marijuana overdose (not that some of you guys haven't tried probably, huh?), but just the same I don't feel a need to try it and don't feel like I'm totally missing out. Like I said before though, the rest of you are free to keep toking. I'm heading to D.C. to start up the Mountaineering division of the ATF and we will be patrolling the Cascades soon. Just kidding, no need to roast me for that one. Happy climbing to all, be you stoned or sober!

As an addendum, let me add a few things I haven't tried "at least once" and don't plan on trying to help illustrate my point. Sheep. I haven't had any carnal relations with sheep. Or goats. Or any other barnyard animals. I mean, I've visited Montana and Wyoming, but I didn't stay very long. Anyway. I've never taken a 50 or 100 foot screamer, or cratered from the top of a pitch, and as much fun or as mind altering as that might be, I think I'll pass on the opportunity. I've gotten liquored up once or twice, but it wasn't habit forming, and it doesn't make my Top 10 list of best experiences in life. And that wasn't while climbing. So I think I'll stick to my goodie two shoes, clean and sober way of life. But just think, that means more pot and booze for the rest of 'ya.

Nolanr,

You don't have to defend your choice. What I would like to see is a better come back than, "I get high on life," That line is stale to say the least.

I would like to take issue with your bringing Len Bias up. You should never compare apples to oranges. Freebasing cocaine is very different from smoking pot. Do you think Tylanol #3 should be banned because people OD on heroin?

So drink a cup of coffee and try and come up with new material. No wait there's caffeine in coffee and that's a mind altering substance and you don't want to end up like Len Bias.

AlpineK,

Okay, fair enough, cocaine and marijuana are totally different. I'll leave Len Bias out of it from now on. I was just trying to make the point that no, I don't have to try everything in life at least once. As for "I don't know what I'm missing," that's true, too, and I'm content to not find out.

I'm curious now, is useage of wacky weed really so prevalent in climbing? I've never seen other climbers with paraphanelia and haven't noticed funny odors lingering in the air. I'm not talking about sport climbing at the crags, either, I mean in the mountains.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have a catchy new slogan for the anti-drug movement. Maybe Nancy R can come up with something for us.

Hey NolanR when you say you have never seen "paraphenalia" in the mountains, does that imply you have never climbed in the Coast Range then? Or what?

"I enjoyed it all, from the red wine and dope nights in the cave, to the neckiest moments of the climb" -Bugs McKeith, and he lived in Alberta (weak Eastern cousins of BC)

Sure, "I get high on life" is lame and old and trite. So is "because it's there."

A few other reasons not to partake:

- I've got kids, and feel the need to set an example.

- When I was 20, a joint wouldn't even get you a traffic ticket. These days, the penalties are far more secure, and your supply is inherently untrustable.

- In my experience, pharmaceuticals mediate reality. I’d rather experience it directly.

- I used to tell people, in all earnestness, that having a couple quick beers then taking off on my motorcycle gave me about the greatest feeling there was. In hindsight, I did feel a real rush, but it was pretty dumb. The point is that it screws with your judgement. Booze does, cocaine does. I don't know about heroin, maybe that's okay. Trainspotting was a pretty cool movie.

- Cocaine makes you paranoid

- Ecstasy screws with your pleasure centers in your brain, and weakens your ability to feel pleasure.

- Meth and Cocaine production are ecological nightmares.

- addiction is a physiological thing, and varies with the individual. That’s true of alcohol and pot, as well as heroin. It has very little to do with personality, or the amount you partake of. How do you find out if you’ve got an addictive physiology? Try it and find out. ‘course then, it’s too late. Oops. Personal family experience on this one.

My $.02

I'm pretty anti-, after watching myself, friends and family loose the edge on their intelligence for years, completely burn out and become vegetables, and/or become so needy for artificial stimulation that normal life is no longer interesting. For people close to me I care alot, for people distant from me I am content with them making their own choices.

It doesnt matter what you are talking about, anything that causes some physiological response can be dangerous (in moderation or otherwise), and that includes the standard topics like alcohol and weed, but also diet, sweets, radical excercise, etc! However our culture has come to believe that something that *could* be bad for you can't possbily be *good* for you and thats just wrong. There are innumerable beneficial effects from many of the drugs and practices we label "bad" in this culture, and the trick is finding the balance and being informed.

Everyone's different; for me, I don't need it so I don't use it.

No, I would not climb with someone who is high. I've already seen that contribute directly to several climbing deaths, I don't need me or my partner to be the next statistic. The mountains are beatiful enough...

Alex

drul,

weed won't get u a traffic ticket here either. more like your can-yuck clouded brain tossed in the clink. then again mr. hastings you might like that. confused.gif

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 06-07-2001).]