Need A Mathematic Genius

Plaidman

Not really. Just trying to figure out how far away from a cliff face would you be if you were jugging a rope that was 200 feet long on a 110 degree average slope? Silly question. But fun to muse about.

I remember that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is a2 + b2 = c2

but if you no longer have a right angle and the angle is 110 degrees what formula do you use?

HMMMMM?

Plaidman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a real long way. Are you sure about that?

On my third try, I did the math correctly, and I concur with 72.8 feet

Holy Holy. Most people lower themselves out for this jug on the Leaning Tower, but my big wall guide friend says take the swing. It's a blast. 400 feet in the air.

I am not sure I want to look like that.

warren-harding.jpg

Too late. Sorry. :)

Hey, WT heck are you on a computer for anyway? You should be practicing aid and jugging laps at the Butte between rainstorms today. Toss off a doubled rope, aid up putting in pieces and clip back up figure 8 knots in one side of the rope, top out, rap the free and unknotted side and then jug up while cleaning. Time yourself as if the jugging finish when you get to the top as a single lap. Do 3 laps competing with your times to see what your speed is. Tomorrow, recover. These math problems don't do shit for ya.

When you get back, look up and read Wayne1112's story of the leaning tower run he did where they remembered the beer and forgot the water but chose to persevere and charge ahead despite it's absence. OMG, it's hilarious. And crazy too.

Ivan and Miker last year: Ivan and MikeR on the Tower etc Link

Anglin was the man! Steve Strauch and John Roskelly decided to do the first one day ascent together way back when and left the sleeping stuff behind.... made it most of the way too I understood, but it was a long, long night.

Thank the lord for cams, nuts and all the other crazy new gear.

Not really. Just trying to figure out how far away from a cliff face would you be if you were jugging a rope that was 200 feet long on a 110 degree average slope? Silly question. But fun to muse about.

Plaidman

kind of depends on how far up the 200 foot rope you are . . .

I remember that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is a2 + b2 = c2

but if you no longer have a right angle and the angle is 110 degrees what formula do you use?

HMMMMM?

Plaidman

the right angle is between the horizontal and vertical so you are hanging straight down on a 200 ft rope, then (180-110) = 70 so tan 70 = opposite/adjacent = 200/x

Solve for x = 200/tan(70) = 200/2.75 = 72.73 ft

You should be practicing aid and jugging laps at the Butte between rainstorms today. Toss off a doubled rope, aid up putting in pieces and clip back up figure 8 knots in one side of the rope, top out, rap the free and unknotted side and then jug up while cleaning. Time yourself as if the jugging finish when you get to the top as a single lap. Do 3 laps competing with your times to see what your speed is. Tomorrow, recover. These math problems don't do shit for ya.

Got out today and dropped a rope on Birds of Paradise at Rocky Butte.

Rapped and jugged 3x

Froggy style.

First time doing this type of jug.

So good on overhanging routes.

1st lap 30 mins. Had a few adjustments to make..

2nd lap 20 mins.

3rd lap 17 mins.

I'll keep working it.

Plaidman

Delay again. Steve has business here to do. We are now planning on doing a dry run up to Index next week and hit The Valley after the rush this week. This is the best weather The Valley has seen in a month. So my thinking is it will be zooed. We will head down during my next 2 week window after I see my kids the weekend after next.

The Valley may have settled down by then.

Index will be fun. We are taking a portaledge and will make it a two day deal on Town Crier or Green Dragon.

Plaidman