Recomendations for June climb

wargowsky

I'm flying into Seattle next week and I want to try Hood before heading to Rainier. Because of my schedule, won't be able to get there until 6 or 7am. I'm considering taking the lifts to shave off and hour or two of the approach (yeah yeah...i know i'm a pussy, but i'm getting a late start, and want to get as high as possible as quickly as possible)

anyway, any recommendations for single day routes on Hood for this time of year? I'd REALLY like to avoid the standard route. I'm considering Leuthold, Reid, or Wy'East. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't believe the lifts start running til 8:00 am. Then add climbing time up, puts you up there a bit late, I'd say. Of course, depends so much on conditions, which, if I remember the recent forecast, don't bode well for next week, though it depends on the day. . .

Welcome to the Cascades in Spring!

for what it's worth, the lift starts running at 7am as of June 1. I'm planning to be there on the 4th.

your right, the forecast isn't looking to good, but i only make it out west once or twice a year. so i have to make due with whatever weather i've got. any recommendations for route considering my time line and the weather? would making a quick run up the hogs back be my best bet?

NOAA is calling for more snow over the next few days. We went up on Thursday and were postholing up to our knees, getting worse as we went. We saw avvy sign near Hot Rocks. Keep an eye on the forecast and snow levels. At this rate, Hood may be in for quite a while :)

yeah if you are looking to go up hood on the 4th.... whew wee please report back. standard route will probably be plenty of action and all solitary, unless some other fools are around.

noaa point click interpolated telemetry @ 9,000ft:

6/3 Tonight: Snow. Low around 36. South southwest wind between 7 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.

6/4 Friday: Snow level 9000 feet lowering to 7000 feet. Snow showers. Windy, with a west southwest wind 13 to 16 mph increasing to between 29 and 32 mph. Winds could gust as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

I would love to hear the latest on the South route. I am arriving in Portland Tuesday June 8 to take a shot at it, any beta would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you wish. Also curious if flotation would be recommended?

Thanks all!

The mountain you want to climb is not in right now and the locals are avoiding it, but you're insisting on going up anyway even though you are acknowledging a very late start and an obvious lack of experience in regards to climbing out here. Sweet! Can't wait for the round the clock nation wide coverage of PMR's next search.

Maybe next time you can give us a little more notice and we'll change the weather to fit your travel plans.

The mountain you want to climb is not in right now and the locals are avoiding it, but you're insisting on going up anyway even though you are acknowledging a very late start and an obvious lack of experience in regards to climbing out here. Sweet! Can't wait for the round the clock nation wide coverage of PMR's next search.

Maybe next time you can give us a little more notice and we'll change the weather to fit your travel plans.

careful what you say - i called one of the illustrious 3 of hood n face fame a dipshit and predicted a bodybag in his future in essentially an identical thread, only to have to scramble to get it all erased as the media horde descended! :)

"Sweet! Can't wait for the round the clock nation wide coverage of PMR's next search."

easy there big guy. i never said that i was interested in killing myself. just looking for recommendations IF things cleared up by the time I got there. they didn't. i checked conditions, it wasn't in, i didn't go.