Squamish Weather

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've got a decent handle on how to judge weather forecasts in the US. How do you guess what the weather is going to be in Squamish?

Same way, look at the jet stream, read the nws report for western washington and check those above sites.

We have a big low parked off the coast and its going to move across on Friday, weak ridge moves in on the weekend. Strength of that ridge is up for debate as you have noticed in the weather forecasts.

Weak front arrives on Monday

Friends went to Leavenworth on Monday with the forecast on the Sunday calling for sun. Hiked in to Outer Space and it started to sprinkle a bit. 10 minutes later it was raining and 20 minutes later it was a down pour.

Something unexpected must have come through. An unexpected swing in the jet stream?

I'll be sure to mark down rain on the calendar for next year and plan a trip to Costa Rica.

It would be nice if there was a confidence level indicator that would go along with the forecast.

1) email EC and tell them they should reinstate the forecast discussion

2) you know if you plan on using the city forecast to go to the mountains you really should take a few minutes to figure out what is going on before taking it verbatim

3) EC does not manipulate past 60 hours so all thst you see past that is pure model output and is just the Canadian one.

It was more than obvious that this last weekend was not a weekend to bank on or go to the mountains in, this up coming weekend is the same and you know what the rest of may and the first half of June look exactly the same

This weekend, last nights 00z run brought in a a whole bunch of moisture in on Saturday..this mornings 12z run completley backed off on it again...chance of showers see what happens forecast..ahh spring!!

An unexpected swing in the jet stream?

No it hasnt moved since the last high pressure, but little vort lobes being lobbed in are pretty much impossible to time and are magnified in the hills.

So I may give a completley dry forecast knowing that the vort maxes will only cause weather in the hills..thats why its best not to rely on a city forecast for the hills in anything less than bomber high pressure

Good to know jmace. I didn't have any big plans this past weekend so didn't really look that closely. I was just surprised by the difference between the Friday and Saturday forecasts. Ended up bouldering so NBD.

Edited by hafilax

90% of the time that is the weather...the difficluties in conveying an entire days weather in one icon...

today being a perfect example, its going to piss rain this evening could be heavy too..

I chose a sun with heavy rain icon..yet the day is perfectly useable and in fact the entire day is great..but all the public sees is rain with sun...which is correct just not the greatest for planning

EC does do forecast discussions, they dont make them public because they asked if the public wanted it and there was no response.

Every Canadian who wants more from their weather service should email them, they are listening.

I am not allowed to post the discussions but I am happy to answer any questions about the weather forecast

cheers

90% of the time that is the weather...the difficluties in conveying an entire days weather in one icon...

today being a perfect example, its going to piss rain this evening could be heavy too..

I chose a sun with heavy rain icon..yet the day is perfectly useable and in fact the entire day is great..but all the public sees is rain with sun...which is correct just not the greatest for planning

EC does do forecast discussions, they dont make them public because they asked if the public wanted it and there was no response.

Every Canadian who wants more from their weather service should email them, they are listening.

I am not allowed to post the discussions but I am happy to answer any questions about the weather forecast

cheers

I like the hourly forecast available on other web sites. EC should do that.