GOOSE EGG MTN - CONDITIONS PLEEZE!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out there on Sunday/Monday but with the weather we have been experiencing here (sigh)......it was pretty nice on Sunday and we climbed Ride the Lightning with a little drizzle. On Monday we were caught in a rain squall while climbing and retreated underneath a boulder outcropping hoping it would blow over. We waited awhile and then decided to head back home to Leavenworth.

Hey thanks, Teresa! Was it dry before it started to drizzle? What I want to know is, is it worth the trip to check it out and get on it, or is it still dripping/running water and therefore not in the cards.

My partner argues that it will still have snow on top, will be dripping wet, and the rap anchors will be buried in snice. I disagree, but neither one of us has been up there yet this year to really know jack shit. I'm basing my opinion on prior year's experience, having lived in Crackivegas for more years than I care to remember. Seems to me that previous year's TRs (AlpineMonkey, OW, Alpinfox, jessbee, etc) indicated that it was clearly climbable over MD, and this year is a low snow year...

Hey Sobo, Stoney and I were out on it over 3 weeks ago. There was no snow to speak of on the entirety of the Egg. Rock was dry (besides a snow squall that came and went) and temps were nice. Because it's south facing and well east of the crest, it tends to dry out very quickly. For this reason, it's been climbed every single month of the year.

Go get some!

True what Joe is saying.....no snow to speak of and with it being south facing we didn't notice any drippy areas before we started the climb. I was a bit skeptical but the rock was good the whole time despite a few squalls. Some of the brush was a bit damp but no running water.

Go for it!