Above GNS

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hike up from the top of Gorilla, and climb Plum Pudding! Very fun 5.9 lieback corner. Maybe like Sr. Citizens but steeper.

Ah shit, Cummins says Plum Pudding is 10a.

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/index/middle.gif

vs

http://mountainproject.com/v/washington/index_town_walls/mid_wall/106386419

Can 5.10a feel like 5.9?? Don't ask me, I've never even climbed at Index.

Edited by counterfeitfake

Most Definitely! Scramble up that gully some time!

There are some fun well traveled pitches (timberjack, and gorrilla my dreams) on winki dinky cliffs directly up from the gully or you can walk right (to the top of breakfast of champions) to access the dihedrals.

Actually, if you do the great northern slab, scramble up the gully and walk right, do defoliator (5.7...possibly old bolts at the belay) then continue up the (undocumented?) crack system above the left end of the defoliator belay ledge through an interesting chimney/tunnel through and then figure out how to top out the wall (we traversed right for a pitch and then did a pitch ending ant an old fixed rope leading into the trees.) you end up at the base of the mid wall and can do robin's ramp, effectively linking a good portion of the <5.7 pitches at index into a fun multi pitch feeling thing...be very aware of loose rock...there are people below you.

What's climber's left of Timberjack? (Timberjack is that one with the offwidth at the top right?)

It was pretty dirty, but if it got cleaned would be a pretty good route. I remember some thin moves to a hard lieback, and then into a squeeze chimney. My shirt got ripped up from that chimney.

Does anyone else have a problem with the last 3 (?) bolts and anchor bolts on gorilla my dreams or am I just a pussy? Or are most people placing gear at that point?

Made one attempt at it and backed off cause I saw rusty beer tabs above and I had no gear. Rapped it later and was pretty sketched at the anchor setup (not the one we rapped off of. Rapped off a tree, but we rapped past the bolts)

If someone goes up there with a drill the two bolts on Terminator (5.10b fun knob route just above the BOC anchor) and maybe the anchor could use an update as well... quarter inch button heads on what could otherwise be a fun moderate pitch.

Timberjack protects well and there's a bolt to get you through the wide part towards the top. I recall a burly move to top out above the bolt but I remember the bolt being good. Good fun. Yeah the anchor's funky up there, old sling disappearing up into the woods to back up the bolts or something.

I've followed Gorilla a few times, and offer the following suggestions despite all the bolts (unless you're confident at the grade & with sustained burly laybacks): bring some gear to protect yourself before the 1st bolt, the clip can be awkward. Also a large cam (or two) can be walked up between bolts to provide more of a G rated experience.

If someone goes up there with a drill the two bolts on Terminator (5.10b fun knob route just above the BOC anchor) and maybe the anchor could use an update as well... quarter inch button heads on what could otherwise be a fun moderate pitch.

Drilling is the easy part. Removing the old bolts is the tough part. Even old button heads can be tenacious.