Hardman Halfbag

So I made a hardman half sleeping bag out of an old REI polarpod I had lying around. I haven't tested it yet but I added a drawstring so I can sinch it around my hips and add a Peak XV jacket to complete the package. I guess I won't know how close I can cut it until I try it out. Anyone have any luck with a similar setup? I can add pics if people are curious.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure have, try the Feathered Friends Vireo. Slim fit, No zippers or hood. It weighs 1lb. 20 degree to your waist, 45 to your neck. I've used it on the Appalachian trail and many trips in the mountains. Packs down to the size of small loaf of bread. It's $250 but well worth the money if you want a reliable and ligthweight bag/parka system.

I have a half bag made by Wild Things. Weighs in about a pound. Perfect for summer bivies when combined with a bivy sac. Unlike my other bags which are down my half bag is synthetic.

One comment if you have not cut it already having the bag come up to your rib cage is better. Then you have overlap with a jacket. Which at night things slide around so no cold spots.

What about using it at 10,000 feet at Rainier basecamp? I've slept up there before a couple times but never with a halfbag. Is that asking for problems?

The Vireo and Volant combo work like a charm on Rainier...... and anywhere else I go.

western mountaineering "highlight" is a full bag that weighs in @ 16oz and packs the size of a nalgene. In either case of a half bag or a full bag, sleeping in all your clothes and with a nalgene filled with HOT water will always give a temperature boost without adding any extra weight to your kit.