End the Beacon Rock Peregrine Closure!!!

JosephH

Here you go boys - your very own thread to finally free Beacon from the tyranny of the Peregrine closure once and for all. I know you have lots of great reasons why it should be open and even better ideas for how to go about it that are going to get 'the man' quivering with at least as much sympathy, empathy, and respect as you have for them. And hey, I'll stay completely out of it here so no worries there. Looking forward to it not closing next year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joseph, I remember a month or so ago when this was discussed you seemed to keep telling people to not rock the boat, that this is the best situation we can hope for, etc. So that is not really a pro active position, and although I and many other people appreciate your efforts for Beacon, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to change a policy that is obviously way over the top. There are many areas where peregrines nest where the restrictions are not so restrictive. A more balanced approach might be in order. Nothing wrong with working towards that. Remember, LostCamKenney was injured and still is due to the fact that the current policy that relegates climbers to an very dangerous section of Beacon and seals off any of the standard climbing areas, even the Young Warriors section that is on the far side of the rock from the peregrine nest. This does not appear to be a common sense policy from any viewpoint, and with some dialogue with the powers to be perhaps this could be changed. But you keep telling people that we shouldn't hope for more, best we can hope for, etc. I am not sure why and really that does not appear to be an approach that most climbers support.

Joseph, I remember a month or so ago when this was discussed you seemed to keep telling people to not rock the boat, that this is the best situation we can hope for, etc. So that is not really a pro active position, and although I and many other people appreciate your efforts for Beacon, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to change a policy that is obviously way over the top. There are many areas where peregrines nest where the restrictions are not so restrictive. A more balanced approach might be in order. Nothing wrong with working towards that. Remember, LostCamKenney was injured and still is due to the fact that the current policy that relegates climbers to an very dangerous section of Beacon and seals off any of the standard climbing areas, even the Young Warriors section that is on the far side of the rock from the peregrine nest. This does not appear to be a common sense policy from any viewpoint, and with some dialogue with the powers to be perhaps this could be changed. But you keep telling people that we shouldn't hope for more, best we can hope for, etc. I am not sure why and really that does not appear to be an approach that most climbers support.

How dare you actually try to make sense to JH. He will most likely come back with why this is the best we will ever get.

You are correct in that this particular closure is very restrictive and only restricts the very smallest of Beacons user groups. Too bad we could not get JH's energy behind such a perspective.

No, the Peregrines at Smith and in PDX have 1-2 week old chicks, the Peregrines further up the Gorge have eggs or just hatched, at Beacon we don't know yet as we can't see into the nest. They are definitely NOT flying and won't be for some number of weeks.

No, the Peregrines at Smith and in PDX have 1-2 week old chicks, the Peregrines further up the Gorge have eggs or just hatched, at Beacon we don't know yet as we can't see into the nest. They are definitely NOT flying and won't be for some number of weeks.

Thank you. Just asking.

Basic ideas:

1. Donate donuts and stroke egos of the ranger/rangerettes. maybe listen to their stories and nod a lot to make them feel the love their mothers so clearly withheld? Power wielding LEO's enjoy that, and see no hypocrisy in scratching the backs of their buds in blatant defiance of their sworn oaths.

2. How about a rational discussion that results in a non-blanket closure? There are plenty of anecdotes out there that indicate complete closure of rock faces is severe over protection. Perhaps some of these biologists could show their math as to the size of the closure? Perhaps then a simple set of rules could be derived that could easily be interpreted by the climbing community and still be well within reasonable and appopriate safety margins for the birds (say SE Corner and further East is open, plus the first pitch for the rest of the wall?).

Having endured abuse and direct lying from rangers more times than not I hold out little hope that anything short of bribes or lawsuits will do jack shit, but the notion of a less retarded closure is great.

You can do that, but where are all the ideas for eliminating, shortening, or changing the closure?

think it's time for u to stop fighting the man joseph, i agree with the closure and my interest lies in protecting those damn birds.