Filter vs Steripen?

Bronco

I've concluded the risk/benefit analysis has finally tipped in the favor of aquiring more gear (no big surprise there) and wonder if anyone has a preference between the MSR Sweetwater filter or the Steripen device for low altitude water purification?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the steripen is going to do absolutely nothing to remove dirt, slime, muck, chemicals, tastes etc.

The steripen's primary use is to purify tap water in places where that water is suspect. It also doesn't work as well as the water gets more turbid. But you can use it to tan yourself!

A good filter not only protects you from bugs, it also really improves the taste and quality of drinking water.

low altitude == as in along rivers/streams in the cascades or as in going along the appalachian trail where you might get water from a creek that runs next to pasture land for 30 miles?

if you're going to be around turbid water, or water that might seriously be lacking in taste (stagnant), etc, get a filter. otherwise I'd opt for something like Aqua Mira which kills just about everything and that we've found to work excellently everywhere outwest (wouldn't use it in mid-appalachians, though, for instance). You can always use a bandana or better, a square of thin silk to use as a raw filter to get the biggest stuff like sand.

Steripen is great due to its ability to kill viruses, a typical filter will not. Tablets blow, yes they are lighter, but if your alpine climbing I'm thinking boiling water is probably good enough. In colder temperature the tablets will take a considerable longer amount of time to be effective, screw that just boil it. I have a Katadyn, steri, tablets and a stove and for myself I will never be pulling water out of a very turbid source to warrant the Katadyn. I'll keep that for a nuclear survival situation. First choice boil it, 2nd steri pen. If 1 and 2 fail then tablets.

if you are in the cascades, aqua mira is fine. The water is already very good and the any treatment is just to make you feel good about it. Unless it is a obvious filthy place like dog routes on volcanoes or other extremely popular place (boston basin and below liberty bell group for example) the water is already fine so you don't need any heavy and expensive treatment. Now acon-choss-ua is a different story all together.

where are you thinking of using it?

Edited by genepires

I've typically used idodine tablets but am begining to be concerned about parasites more than the taste of it. I don't see where Aqua Mira comes out and says it kills giardia etc. Anyone know if that's the case?

I typically boil water when melting snow but we're talking about doing some lower elevation backpacking trips this summer where there wont be any snow. Not too concerned about weight.

Thanks Gene!

We're planning to do some trips like the Lakeside trail on Lake Chelan and Baker Lake in the N. Cascades. I thought these might warrant some extra filtration but am happy to continue to use Aqua Mira if it's appropriate.

Edited by Bronco

I would probably treat baker lake water. You never know how many naked hippies have been in it.

then the redneck hicks camping on the beach can't do much good for the water too.

you might need all of the above for Baker lake.

I have never been to lake chelan but for some reason, I feel like that water is good. Maybe due to the lack of hippies and lake/road side camping.

I would like to hear how your trips go for future reference.

I have never been to lake chelan but for some reason, I feel like that water is good. Maybe due to the lack of hippies and lake/road side camping.

lack of roadside camping, yes. lack of hippies, debatable. i used to go up there every summer, as a kid, with my grandparents when they would go to stehekin and it never failed to see some group of backpacking hippie-types jumping into the lake from the landing for holden village. of course that is a pretty deep lake so i'll talk myself into believing that the piss and garbage sinks to the bottom. :laf:

Spent 3 days in backwater Hawaii with a steripen and really like how convenient it is. Given, it relies on batteries and electricity, but you can't beat scooping up some water, pushing a button and being done with "water duty" in 30 seconds while chatting and leaning against a tree. It also looks pretty cool when you do it at night :cool:

I figure since water treatment facilities and organizations responding to urban disaster areas are using them more and more, you can't go wrong. And don't forget the old school technique of leaving a clear container of water out in direct sunlight for a few hours to sterilize it.

• 5 weeks later...

AquaMira: I traveled for 4 months in Thailand, Laos and Nepal; 2 months in Peru and Bolivia. I have used it on countless backpacking and climbing trips in Colorado, Idaho, California, Wyoming, Utah and Washington. I never got sick. I think it can handle Appalachia.