Denali - 2011

Major Major

This is a solicitation for CC members interested in climbing Denali in early summer of 2011. The West Buttress is the most probable route that I am considering, since I have never climbed McKinley. I am located in the Portland area. I am 30 years of age, originally from Montana, and have enjoyed most of the major climbing milestones in the NW in the past 5 years. I'm ready for more, but need some like-minded climbing partners.

If you're interested in joining up, there are only two requirements (apart from the ability to make espresso in a blizzard and sleep with your eyes wide open):

--The financial ability to take three to four weeks off in June 2011. You need to be 100% certain that you can take the time off.

--The ability to attend/organize training climbs in the Northwest. Just important as climbing ability is the rapport/trust that climbing partners need to attain before taking on Denali.

I know that climbing skills supersede the aforementioned requirements. But these are the things that tend to prevent most people from climbing big mountains. Either they can't commit the time and money, or they're not willing to participate in training climbs, or both.

If interested, please let me know. Cheers and happy climbing!

Edited by Major Major

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken 2010 off from my Medical Device/Biotech engineering career to climb the Pacific Northwest--so time off isn't an issue. Money isn't an issue either.

The issues maybe:

1.) I have solo climbed Mt. Saint Helens, Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. Hence, I'm new to the sport. I enjoyed these climbs, but they seemed more like hikes to me. I wanted formal training in Alpine Mountaineering so I took the 2010 Mazama BCEP class. This all wet my appetite for more challenging climbs. The Mazamas won't accept a new BCEP student for a climb on Rainier and I don't want to be babysat by a guide. I know I shouldn't/can't solo Rainier or Denali, so I need to find a team. Obviously, the timing to make these climbs this year is urgent for me since that is why I took the year off.

2.) I am 49, but have been conditioning daily to Mountain climb since last Spring. Hence, I am in fairly good Mountain climbing shape.

3.) I hate expresso--make your own!

Maybe I'm a potential prospect and maybe not--let me know?

Dennis Slomski (a.k.a. Goat climber)

503-832-2455

I am interested in joining this group. I was laid off from my airline pilot job so I have plenty of time. I figure I have enough savings to last me for two years. I have climbed most of the nearby Cascade volcano's except Jefferson. I went up Rainier with RMI. They do a good job getting people up there. But I would like to go with a couple of partners maybe on a few new routes.

My issues maybe:

I am getting divorced so I don't know how that will play out. I am 47 and need to work on my conditioning. My airline will probably call me back at some point and I might have to be retrained who knows when.

Charlie

Edited by Kougarok

I as well as my two climbing partners are interested in this climb. Denali would be the icing on the cake for my career of climbing in the N.W. Being from Alaska and Montana I've had my share of successful summit bids with Rainier on the forefront at 4 and hopefully #5 this June. Time and money are not an issue but I can't speak for the others so I would need specific dates for this venture. I'm 45 and the others are twentysomething.Strong climbers who make calculated decisions and don't take any risks.I would be honored to join your group. Feel free to call me at 509 991 6993 and we'll try and make it happen... Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

interested as well. Just returned from the Denali NP where I did a training cl;ass with Alpine Ascents. The range is breathtaking. Ran into several teams going up and returningb from Denali. Ones ereturning were able to do it in 15 days flat - the weather was excellent.

I posted sonme pixs on http://www.buoyage.com/alaska2010/

I am emailing you directly.

Martin