[TR] El Capitan - Triple Direct 5/19/2010

dberdinka

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what'd you have for a rack?

The Supertopo suggestion is probably more or less right on with the exception of recommending camhooks. I brought them and never used them and never felt the need to.

There are many long, thin aid pitches on the Muir Wall section along with the Great Roof Pitch where a triple set of small cams and a double set of nuts would not go unused (though the triples in small cams might be a bit overkill). Above the Great Roof there are many long pitches that eat up larger cams, in particular the pitch before and the two pitches above Camp 6. A triple set of #2 and #3 Camalots would not go unused here at all. As well a single #4 C4.

So at most triples of cams and at least doubles if you're comfortable backcleaning A LOT!

I would highly recommend leaving Stoppers at home and bringing just DMM Offset nuts. Maybe from a #3 Brassie up to the #11 Al. Bring a double set, particularly of the Al if you've got them. Offset Aliens or MasterCams in the smallest 3 or 4 sizes are very useful as well, though I doubt it would be a show stopper without them. We had most of a set of Link Cams which I gorw more and more fond of for easy aid. They really allow you to punch it and spend less time worrying about running out of the right size gear.

Piles of draws and some new tieoff webbing and you'll be good to go.

Great trip report. Awesome job, youths!!

Youths????? If we're young you must be in the old folks home!

• 1 month later...