13 Year Old Attempts Everest

jon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's doing the NE Ridge cuz the regular route has a 16 yrs age limit. But he has his lucky kangaroo testicles so he should make it. He's fricking 5'10" 160 lbs, hella big for 13.

Actually that's the North Col Route he's doing. The NE Ridge has been climbed through the pinnacles, but nobody has completed the route. If he did that it would be a FA as well.

In any case there's all kinds of rad climbing a 13 year old could be doing. Possibly too much pressure from the parents who want their own notoriety?

Just when you thought Paris et al had maxed out all possible avenues for vapid media whoredom, this kid's parents lay down a new "high" point.

“This was not my idea; he’s provided the inspiration and motivation to keep it going,” Paul Romero wrote recently in an e-mail message from base camp. “Jordan is taking us on the Seven Summits quest and we are merely facilitating his wishes.”

He meant to say, "And we, being stupid rich assholes, couldn't say no to little Jonny's little wishes."

Idiots. Let him work a shit job, save his money, and get to see the world on his own two feet.

Do you think the kid needs adult supervision for these trips? I'd be more than willing to work for minimum wage if all expenses were paid for to help "keep an eye" on the little guy while he scrambles around.

I think that's exactly what he doesn't want. I hate it when people try to "keep an eye" on me when I am climbing just because I am under 18.

However, I agree that this is just another publicity stunt. If he really cared about climbing, he'd work on some new routes in his local alpine area.

Do you think the kid needs adult supervision for these trips? I'd be more than willing to work for minimum wage if all expenses were paid for to help "keep an eye" on the little guy while he scrambles around.

I think that's exactly what he doesn't want. I hate it when people try to "keep an eye" on me when I am climbing just because I am under 18.

However, I agree that this is just another publicity stunt. If he really cared about climbing, he'd work on some new routes in his local alpine area.

It's not so much about the supervision as it was a plea to take me with!

while i am very impressed that the kid had the endurance to summit... what i think will be truly amazing is a young (18 yrs or less) un-guided, unsupported alpine style ascent of Everest. Routefinding, carrying your own shit, and showing the true attributes of an alpinist without a guide service doing it for you...

What if I climbed Diedre naked alpine style so many times, over the course of a dew days. That I gain an equal amount of totaly vertical mileage to climbing Everest!

With the line ups/clusterf'ks i've seen on Diedre, it will take you more than a few days to put up that vertical mileage.