Home Wifi questions

tvashtarkatena

Attention Geeks:

I’m setting up home Wifi in a 1500sf 2 story hourse.

Need to:

Connect to an iPhone

Stream video to a second PC

Surf with a laptop.

Would an Wireless N router work (iPhone requires Wireless G), or do I need to slum it with a Wireless G router, slowing all my other devices down?

Router recommendations? Looking for under $100.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

802.11N routers will be backwards compatible with 802.11G devices. However, if you want to take advantage of the extra speed, you'll need to ensure you have 802.11N adapters on your laptop and PC. I would recommend getting the same brand of adapter as your router. I would recommend Linksys.

Attention Geeks:

I’m setting up home Wifi in a 1500sf 2 story hourse.

Need to:

Connect to an iPhone

Stream video to a second PC

Surf with a laptop.

Would an Wireless N router work (iPhone requires Wireless G), or do I need to slum it with a Wireless G router, slowing all my other devices down?

Router recommendations? Looking for under $100.

Well, gee, we'd think a jack-of-all trades, self-aggrandizing manic delusional such as yourself would be able to just figure this all out for yourself. :lmao:

802.11N routers will be backwards compatible with 802.11G devices. However, if you want to take advantage of the extra speed, you'll need to ensure you have 802.11N adapters on your laptop and PC.

That's what my research indicated, although the googlz returned a particularly snarled knot of fuckedupedness in this case.

I'll prolly just go for a cheapest Linksys single band Wireless N with 3 antenna I can find and call it good.

The problem with mixing 11n and 11g devices on a single band 11n router is that when an 11g device (your iPhone) is connected, any 11n connections will slow down to 11g, and the 11g connection may also take a performance hit.

If you anticipate extensive use of your iPhone at the same time as your laptop or PC you may want to consider getting a used 11g router (should be very cheap or free) and configuring it as an access point so you can keep the 11g and 11n traffic separated.

:nurd: