Avvy conditions on Hood?

sossity

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are heading up tonight with the goal to summit around 7am. As long as it gets cold enough tonight, and it is plenty cold when we get to the hogsback, I don't expect any troubles. We may turn around too if we don't like what we see with the snowpack. I will try to log our results tomorrow evening.

Not kidding, but thanks for the token smart-assery. It's why I keep coming back here...

You asked this in your OP: "Anyone have any thoughts on the avalanche conditions for south side of Hood this weekend?"

I gave you mine. Oh, and welcome back. :wave:

I haven't a clue, but I am laughing at the Sobo welcome, hey Paul we need beer.

It was worth looking at this discussion to see Sobo's comment.

I hope you have fun on Hood and stay safe. Warm temperatures with lots of spring snow could be a bad combo.

The conditions were fabulous this morning. The temps were below 20degF on the hogsback this morning, and nothing was breaking loose in the time we were up there. There is a sweet boot track from the top of the palmer all the way to the summit. Things will start breaking loose as it warms up, but it was no problem today. I doubt avy will be a concern when it warms, but rather more ice fall and post holing from the soft snow off the tracks. We didn't see any evidence of fresh slides.