The Anti-Cam

thedirtbag

[video:vimeo]

I'm kind of a lurker here on CC. I just finished up this year and half long video project. One of the characters we followed through the course of the season was Matt Maddaloni. He designed this new piece of gear (The anti-cam) and put it to use on a death flake just right of the grand wall. Kind of intense. We went down to the wire to get it filmed.

Please excuse the self promotion...I think it's just a really cool story. I keep looking for flakes at Index to use it on.

fitz

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing! Maybe saw you guys up there last weekend while climbing the Grand Wall base routes? Was wondering what the orange fixed rope was doing way out there...

Is that the flake that you climb past on The Sword? I never liked the sounds that thing makes and cant imagine climbing out on it...

Edited by S1W

It was filmed two weekends ago. The fixed line stayed up so we could change angles on yesterday's shoot. That footage posts tomorrow on arcteryx's website. Matt was doing mid week attempts and we tried our best to keep every one notified. I took some whippers on the anti-cam when he was testing it but there is no way you could get me out on the flake.

So Fitz (or any other engineering types) -

Can someone please explain the point of these?

I like the look and commend the effort and ingenuity to create/build these but I do not readily see the advantage of the anti-cam over traditional camming devices.

I do see some obvious disadvantages, the main one being the bulk/size of the device and as Matt himself stated in the video the bar thing sticking out and just looking for things to tangle up with.

Tyson

I agree there is probably not a huge market for these things, but I'm not really looking at the story from that angle. Who knows? - maybe one day these things will be on the shelves, but I doubt it.

I enjoyed the story from the angle of seeing what a really driven and obsessed climber gets up to when he is laid up with an injury.

In this case the flake moves so much, that if you were to place a standard cam and weight the lobes would push outward, moving the flake enough that the cam would pop. Essentially to climb it with out bolting, he had to come up with this new device. WE did five total episodes on the process.

Essentially, it was really scary, but he didn't want to bolt this. Matt explains it pretty in depth in the earlier videos.

[video:vimeo]9733721

This is the first installment.

[video:vimeo]10092464

the second

[video:vimeo]10980209

and the third.

Like I said early the last one will go up on www.arcteryx.com tomorrow. So pumped this project is over. I leave for the valley on monday.

Edited by thedirtbag

Sweet! I was looking forward to seeing this! It's hard to tell in the vid, but from what Matt described to me, it sounded like if the Anti-Cams blew you would get REALLY badly injured and possibly killed in a MASSIVe swing into the pillar, pretty exciting to be using newly self invented gear in a spot like that!