MSM

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mowich

White River

:poke:

I'm just messin', but we did it through White River last year since it opened way earlier than Mowich, conditions were going (melting) fast, and it made for a real easy loop without having to spot a car at each end. We had no problems crossing the Carbon and getting onto the ridge. I've never been to the Mowich area so I can't compare it to that, but I've heard it's pretty nice.

White river always opens earlier than the Mowich lake road but did it add one extra day/night to your approach?

Yeah, we did do it in 3 days, 2 nights, but still, the other factors (route being in better condition earlier and the loopable factor) still played in pretty strongly.

I'm sure if one was motivated and strong they could do it in 2 days from white river. I've certainly heard of people doing Lib Ridge in 2 days from White River and Ptarmigan isn't much more involved or longer than getting to thumb rock. Most parties we saw last year were doing Lib Ridge in 3 days.

I've done all three aproaches and it really depends on the time of the year and what you are looking for on the trip.

White river (4300') has some up and down getting over St Elmo. Fun traverse and an easy car issue.

Carbon is the lowest start on the mtn iirc. 2000' at the start?

It is long. You'll still have some car issue one way or the other depending on the descent.

Gate to Mowich lake, if it is closed, is @ 3500' I think and the shortest walk even then. Makes a great traverse of the mtn down through Paradise. Hit Knapsack pass on the way up. The worse car hassles.

Any way you do it the climb is great and worth the walk.

I would also recommend the Mowich approach….. even if the road is closed at the park entrance it’s only a handful of miles up to the lake and actually makes for a pleasant warm up :) You can cut quite a bit of distance off the road to Mowich by jumping on the trails that cut the large switch backs in the road. These trails are shown on the map and are marked with reflectors.