Bridwell at Spokane's Mtn Goat Thurs, 3/21

Jim Bridwell will give a FREE slide presentation at Mtn Goat Outfitters, Thursday night at 6:30. Bird's topic: "40 Years of climbing history, from Yosemite to Patagonia, and the Himalayas to Alaska." The man is walking climbing history, having been the king of Camp 4 from the 60's and 70's and beyond, to taking his skills all over the world.

Mtn Goat is at 915 W. Broadway, Spokane. Seating will be limited and on a first-come first-served basis. Info at Mtn Goat: 509-325-9806 or info@mountaingoatoutfitters.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a clarification, which Jim made early in his presentation - it's really just twenty-one years of mountaineering, and is really just Alaska as in the Moose's Tooth. As stated on the other Bridwell thread, it is a comparison of two climbs on the east face in winter '80 and summer '01. Not sure where that other description came from, but it was applied to the show I saw as well. That said, y'all should go, t'was fun.

Thanks, b-rock. I got the info directly from Mtn Goat's flyer. Bird can cover a lot of topics: with all the hard climbing he's done, and all the people he's been with, he's got some amazing stories. And he STILL gets all over the world, and climbs way hard! I look forward to the Moose's Tooth comparison, and whatever nuggets--especially the non-PC ones--he is glad to share. Maybe we should take him out BEFORE the presentation!

-Pindude [big Drink]

Okay, just got back from Jim Bridwell's show on his two climbs of the east face of Moose's Tooth ('81 with Mugs, last year with another guy whose name I can't remember!), unrepeated variations of each other. Good turnout, 70 people, maybe more, I didn't get a good count. Yeah, Bird--the living legend--has a modest, low-key attitude with a straightforward and deadpan way of telling stories, but this is not uncommon from people who do the uncommon. The audience was alert and responded with lots of laughs to his understated lines and jokes throughout the presentation.

One example: slide of him in his ledge toward the end of last year's 20+ day effort, with hands in foreground. Battered, cracked hands, but only one digit is taped prominently with a wrap of 1" tape. He's just finished the story thread of the climb up to this point--which has been deadly serious--and is seemingly ready to go on with the tale and the next slide, then suddenly says: "See that there, I taped my finger back on." Lots of laughs, then further pause. "Any normal man would have died." Brought the house down. Are we easily entertained in Spokaloo? Maybe, but we weren't expecting The Man to be doing handsprings across the stage.

Excellent slides. No music. Just Jim telling his account of two very hard climbs. It was one of the best blow-by-blow accounts of incredibly hard technical alpine climbing I have seen and heard, without gaps in the story, and very few gaps in the slides. I've seen a few climbing shows over the years. I'm glad it was not a slick, multi-media type a la somebody like Marc Twit. That wouldn't have fit the Bird.

He signed posters for $4 at show's end. The poster is classic Bird: lighting a cigarette with the East Face of Moose's Tooth in the background (http://www.rockclimbing.com/athlete/view.php?ID=jimbridwell). The show was free--thanks Mountain Goat. If you're in Spokane, check em out(http://www.mountaingoatoutfitters.com). They're the alternative to the big gear shop, and I'm not talking REI. If the show had cost $6, it would have been worth it, not to mention the bucks would have been going toward THE MAN of modern climbing.

Cheers, Pindude [big Drink]

• 2 weeks later...