Preplacing Draws

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by telemarker:
Watching sport climbing videos I'm always struck with the same question...How does the climber pre-place their draws on such overhanging routes? Probably obvious to most, but not to me. Just wondering...

While they're aiding it (working it) they just leave them in place after pulling the rope. Sometimes on really steep stuff the locals will fix draws on the bolts by using a lap-link on the hanger end and screwing it down.

I watched Timmy Fairfield and his frenchie girlfriend working a route at the Hell Cave at American Fork a few years ago and she did this routine:

Work a move or two from the bolt to figure out the sequence, pull up her stick-clip that was clipped to the next lowest draw, clip herself into the top draw with a daisy, hang off the daisy, clip another draw and the rope to the next higher hanger, unclip the daisy, yard on the rope to get to the hold she wanted, clip the stick clip to the lower draw and work the next sequence...essentially being on TR the entire time. Strange, but kept me curious enought to watch for a while...and seeing Fairfield pitch off the same hold on Ice Cream over and over was pretty funny.

Last time I was at Smith, there was a fellow who used a stick clip for the first bolt, then climbed up to it, clipped into it, untied from the rope, lowered the end of the rope down, pulled up his stick clip (which extended to about 16 feet or more), clipped the NEXT bolt, then bat-manned up that rope and free climbed from there.

That's ONE way to do it. I suppose. rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by goatboy:
Last time I was at Smith, there was a fellow who used a stick clip for the first bolt, then climbed up to it, clipped into it, untied from the rope, lowered the end of the rope down, pulled up his stick clip (which extended to about 16 feet or more), clipped the NEXT bolt, then bat-manned up that rope and free climbed from there.

That's ONE way to do it. I suppose.
rolleyes.gif" border="0

hey that was arlin setting up the king swing on scarface! rope_swing.jpg