Bolivia/Peru Info

Hey Folks - considering a short trip to Bolivia or Peru next month on short notice. I've been climbing in Ecuador and Argentina but this trip is strictly non-technical. Considering one or two long treks and ideally with some possibility of non-technical summits to be had so that we don't have to drag gear down there this time around. Also trying to go at it without guide services but unlike last time this trip is on a tight schedule of 2 weeks. Previous SA experience tells me things can take a little time to figure out once you are there. Plus we only speak very basic survival spanish.

Any recomendations on multi day trekking routes or planning thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Have little time to plan but trying to avoid spinning our wheels for several days down there figuring things out.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hiked around the cordiera huayhuash without a guide in 2003 it took us 9-10 days of walking plus at least 2-3 days on buses/micro buses each way from lima plus time to acclimatize (can't budget enough of this...5000 m passes will kill you with a pack full of 9 days of food).

my advice:

1) Learn more spanish. enough to explain to a farmer why you are on his land and convince him to let you camp there. even remote trecks in the northern andes are usually on land people live on and you will need to know how to barter for transit, permission to camp, figure out if the dude talking fast at you is a ranger demanding to see your permit or a scammer pretending to be a ranger, buy fresh fruit in villages you pass etc... If you can't do this higher a guide even if you carry your own weight.

2) acclimatize. that shit is tall. also be in shape.

3) Buy your maps before you leave.

4) Ditto for backpacking food unless you want to live on pasta, soup mix and soy protean (what we ate).

5) Budget plenty of time (days) for missed bus connections etc.

6) two weeks isn't enough time for two "long" trips.

7) Head to the town of huaraz in peru, spend 4-5 days day hiking, mountain biking, (Julio Olazas was the best guide/rental place when i was there...also the only dude who would sell us a map for our unguided excursion...looks like he now has a website: http://www.chakinaniperu.com), checking out the museum then go on a 5 day hike (cordiera blanca is popular) and head home.

I trekked Llamac to Cajatambo( a C shaped circuit in Huayhuash) in 7 walking days in '06. Met a friend in country who made the tight times possible. Arrived in Lima at 1am, caught the bus to Huaraz at 8 or so. left the next day in the evening for huayhuash. Including a great one day pissup in Lima 11 days in country, 3 in transit, 7 trekking, 1 drinking. Acclimitization was a bitch (I lived below/at sea level then). Basic spanish was sufficient, in the hills they are functionally illiterate in Spanish and mostly speak Quechua (good luck with that language). food available in country sucked, stove fuel was a pain. The Brad Johnson map was decent, but fell apart.

If you flyfish, bring a rod. Plenty of trout, was able to trade some with the locals instead of the safety fee