[TR] Aiguille D'Argentiere, Chamonix, France - Glacier du Milieu 5/9/2010

Trip: Aiguille D'Argentiere, Chamonix, France - Glacier du Milieu

Date: 5/9/2010

Trip Report:

This is a cross post from the Ski Sickness Sanatorium because no one reads ski postings anymore.

Amazing conditions but fleeting clear weather has made us work around mother nature's schedule. Today (and the previous 10 days) have been rather nice in the morning but cool and snowy in the early-mid afternoon. Today was no exception.

We caught first bin on the last day of the season at Grands Montets and made our way over to the base of the climb. I was excited to be able to get the snow good top to bottom because of a high overcast and rather cool conditions. Waves of snow showers punctuated the day, but we continued because they seemed rather benign.

Here's an older picture I took that ironically is the first image that I found on google image search for 'Milieu Glacier" and was on drewtabke.com

DSC_0557.jpg

Another reason we went up was to check out the condition of some of the big boys: They're ready. I'm not.

P1030093.jpg

The Argentiere Glacier.

P1030094.jpg

P1030103.jpg

Heading up with Dave and Liz.

P1030105.jpg

The upper headwall is just rad enough (300m ~45) but not too rad as to summon the devil ice from the Glacier Rond.

P1030107.jpg

P1030111.jpg

The ridge to the summit with Liz. I remember being near the brink of death near here my first time. Maybe thats because we started in the valley.

P1030118.jpg

Skiing from the Summit.

P1030130.jpg

The snow was agreeable.

P1030134.jpg

The upper face has a cool exposed feeling.

P1030138.jpg

P1030140.jpg

Exiting the couloir. FREERIDE.

P1030152.jpg

Gear Notes:

Gaufres

Approach Notes:

Par Grands Montets

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic