THis sucks... :-(

RuMR

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

don't really understand what happened...

poor guy did the rappel where you tie a single line to a 6mm cord with a big ass knot, the knot jams against the rap ring and you rap off the single line. At the bottom you pull on the sinny line to pull the rope. You can put a clove hitch on a locking biner to jam against the ring just above where the cord is tied on to make things MUCH safer... he didn't take this precaution and his knot slipped through the ring and he fell to his death.

Edited by marc_leclerc

luckily i'm far too stupid (yet embracing my retardation :) ) to experiment w/ such fancy things...

as a retard w/ a half-wiped ass intellect i like to stay deep w/n my comfort zone for technical systems - experimentation is for upper-end-teenage-thai whores, dig?

... this is why a lot of locals climb on twins in Vegas. I much prefer twins to dragging along a small cord solely for rapping.

+1

Vegas is where I learned to appreciate the advantage of the twins. Though I am grateful for the discussion on how to utilize the other(tag line) method safely.

Very sorry for the loss of a fellow climber. :(

I do not do this kind of rappel, but I do know of it.

Can someone explain to me why you would NOT put the 6mm line through a rappel device like a black diamond atc? I thought that if you have the 6mm line right next to you, why not put it through your rappel device anyways? I guess it comes down to tension? Is that correct?

Some folks on the SuperTopo and related threads were saying that due to the unequal friction on the different-sized ropes through the belay device, the two strands quickly become unequal, increasing risk of having one thread end pass through belay device prematurely. Fixes for this scenario suggested are knot the strand ends making passage impossible and use the locker backup shown above.

Edited by ann