Rock fall off p2 City Park

KAB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this is sarcasm cuz if it's not you're un-educated.

Wind doesn't knock blocks off unless they are hanging by a thread.

The block was frost wedged 1" to 2" from the pik in this thread but it still had about 18" to go before it reached the tipping point.

the ledge is flat, the block is square, a lifetime background in engineering tells me this block was pushed off.

I've really got no opinion on the trundle....

So Crillz, do you know something you're not telling us?

WTF? I know lots of things that I'm not going to tell any of you.

As far as that block missing, since I haven't seen it with my own two eyes, I can't really speculate on its demise. But, getting my feathers all ruffled up, and smashing my keyboard, isn't going to help anything.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh. Maybe you just worded your statement wrong. But it indicates you know it's a trundle.

If this was done to make the climb "safer" then this action is right there with bolting every 5 feet and chipping holds, but it's worse.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh. Maybe you just worded your statement wrong. But it indicates you know it's a trundle.

If this was done to make the climb "safer" then this action is right there with bolting every 5 feet and chipping holds, but it's worse.

No worries. It was either Jesus or some climbers.

I wouldn't count out the freeze/thaw action - but I can't really say, since I haven't been up to that ledge in about a month. I've been there a few times when some pretty big blocks have magically (naturally) come from way above and smashed into the forest. Though, I've also been there when some pretty big sh*t has rained down from the LTW (by the cleaning crew).

Maybe some dumbass aid climber popped it off topping out on City Park.

The perps were undoubtedly the very same troublesome dawn patrollers who deliberately chose to ignore WSDOT's not-yet-placed road closure signs at WA pass last week. These Bosch slinging yuppie vogons, these brat-prince poster children for Generation Gimme, must be stopped before they trundle again or, worse still, close a state highway in the process. Prostate exam by 105mm howitzer shell, however expensive, would be too good for them.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

***Late Breaking News***

Human body parts found near small, meth-producing, town in Western Washington. It hasn't been confirmed, but the body parts are believed to be that of a hiker who was using technical climbing equipment to scale a portion of a steep wall, when apparently, the wall got angry and ejected the hiker as well as a large block. This steep wall has long been popular with hard-men rock climbers. First hand accounts of the incident are still being investigated. Anybody with information is urged to contact the local Buckaroo department.

More like:

Human body parts found near small, meth-producing, town in Western Washington. It hasn't been confirmed, but the body parts are believed to be that of a hiker who was using technical climbing equipment to scale a very dangerous section of the rock cliff. Local SAR teams have concluded that the hiker slipped when a large hold broke from the rock cliff and the hiker's safety cord broke. It appears that the man was hiking alone when the slip occured, and SAR was not informed of the slip until it was too late.

Not possible.

looking at the block in the picture and from my memory that the top was about eye level. Let's say it was 5' high by 6' wide by 20" thick.

Average granite density is 2.70 g/cm^3

5'x6'x20" = 60" x 72" x 20" = 152cm x 183cm x 51cm =

1,418,616 cu.gm. x 2.70 = 3,830,263 grams weight = 8444.3 lbs. =

4-1/4 TONS.

I could have easily hung my Civic wagon off that block and it wouldn't have budged.

There are other things than frost, climbers with jacks, or rocks from above, that can move rocks, including dirt, water, and vegetation, or a combination of the three. Also the ledge may be flat but the block is the same size as the ledge - wouldn't need to move the top out far at all to unbalance it.

Not possible.

looking at the block in the picture and from my memory that the top was about eye level. Let's say it was 5' high by 6' wide by 20" thick.

Average granite density is 2.70 g/cm^3

5'x6'x20" = 60" x 72" x 20" = 152cm x 183cm x 51cm =

1,418,616 cu.gm. x 2.70 = 3,830,263 grams weight = 8444.3 lbs. =

4-1/4 TONS.

I could have easily hung my Civic wagon off that block and it wouldn't have budged.

My vote is for freeze/thaw. If I'm lucky I'll get out there sometime this week and have a looksy myself. You'd probably be able to see some pretty good leverage scrapes from a prybar, no?

Theres maybe a 5.8+ i'sh move to get established there now instead of just hopping up on the ledge. You're still at a rest stance placing your micro once up on it..so it didn't change the route much.

Damn! When I read the ledge came off I was really hoping the tall cheats couldn't reach beyond the thin moves to get off the ledge.

climbers with jacks, or rocks from above, that can move rocks, Also the ledge may be flat but the block is the same size as the ledge - wouldn't need to move the top out far at all to unbalance it.

climbers with jacks is the speculation. There was not enough debris on the ground to indicate rocks from above. this could pretty easily be investigated by looking above for fresh scars.

My thought at first was rocks from above but after talking with the regulars and examining the scene I'm going with climbers with a jack.

My vote is for freeze/thaw. If I'm lucky I'll get out there sometime this week and have a looksy myself. You'd probably be able to see some pretty good leverage scrapes from a prybar, no?

From the pik it looks like it was frost wedged about 1" to 2" out. With an estimated 20" thickness it would have to come out another 8" at least to go that way. You could probably run a formula to figure frost wedging distances but I would guess 75 to 100 years for it to go that far.

If it was vandalism it would have been with a jack, you're not normally going to pry something that big.