Rock fall off p2 City Park

KAB

Was climbing at the LTW today and noticed large, fresh rock fall at the base of City Park & Godzilla. We spent some time wondering where it could have come from, since it is right at the base of the wall. Then we climbed Godzilla and it was pretty obvious where it came from... at least I think I remember there being a ledge above and left of the belay ledge for Godzilla, that you climbed up on to to start P2 of City Park. . . Well if I remember correctly then that higher ledge isn't there anymore... The start of P2 CP looks spicier now but I suspect it is still 10ish.. I took some pictures with my phone, and if I can figure out how to DL them I'll post.... I didn't see any other damage to routes on the LTW other than debris at the bottom.

It's hard to imagine what knocked it off, because the ledge that now remains (level with the Godzilla belay ledge) is quite positive and large.

Just an FYI. Happy climbing, go enjoy the nice weather,

Kevin

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe so. But It may have been even more rock than the obvious crack in your photo suggests. The belay ledge below the chains of City Park in your photo is now level with the "new" belay ledge that remains after the rockfall.

It turns out that my phone is a crappy excuse for a camera, and this is the only decent photo I got today. It is of the new belay ledge....

20100507_Index_City_Park_Rockfall.jpg

does it seem that index has a higher rockfall activity than leavenworth or squamish?

It seems like every year I read about some active rockfall at index, especially LTW. Maybe it is the lack of steepness that makes a rockfall at squamish or leavenworth a rare event. (or any other non alpine granite area)

No, no, no Gene! Never concede a point to Dru, it just encourages him! The rock is more solid at Squamish due to the action of a mysterious fifth force centered there that draws things tightly together, a strong attraction similar to gravity but operating under different rules. Scientists have named this force "The Suck." It's entirely possible that surges in this force sucked that block right off, drawing it towards Squamish. Unfortunately, Canadian Immigration refused it entry at the border due to a felony indictment in 1873 and had it deported back to Index, where it was found dejected and slumped on the ground just the other day.

No, no, no Gene! Never concede a point to Dru, it just encourages him! The rock is more solid at Squamish due to the action of a mysterious fifth force centered there that draws things tightly together, a strong attraction similar to gravity but operating under different rules. Scientists have named this force "The Suck." It's entirely possible that surges in this force sucked that block right off, drawing it towards Squamish. Unfortunately, Canadian Immigration refused it entry at the border due to a felony indictment in 1873 and had it deported back to Index, where it was found dejected and slumped on the ground just the other day.

OMG :lmao::lmao: OW you are priceless

It isn't the lack of steepness, it's that the Squamish rock is better quality and not quarried and blasted to shit (except along the highway, and that's where all the rockfalls are) :battlecage:

How would you know, you've never been to Index have you? Not sure but the last time we discussed this you hadn't been there.

The only place that's blasted is part of the LTW, and that's a minority fraction of the total routes, just like Squamish.

route for route Index is just as good as Squamish, it's just smaller that's all.

:moondance:

Glad no-one was below when it happened. I was there one time when a watermelon size rock came down and that was scary, can't imagine this.

It must have been a huge rockfall from above. That block was really solid and like you say on a flat ledge.

That should up the grade to the 2nd pitch cuz the crux was taking off from the ledge. Depends on the footholds but guessing it's going to be harder.

good point. Natural glaciers are good at removing the loose ones. I assumed that the most of the lower town wall was glacier carved also.

There is a major faulting and jointing system parallel to the face of the LTW. It is visible as the deep dirty chimney in the corner of the quarry. Tectonic features such as these develop other jointing surface parallel, as well as conjugate to these surfaces. The vertical joint at the failure is undoubtedly parallel to the major fault. The sub horizontal joint which was probably the failure point may be conjugate to these

It isn't the lack of steepness, it's that the Squamish rock is better quality and not quarried and blasted to shit (except along the highway, and that's where all the rockfalls are) :battlecage:

so u have how many post? let me know when u get laid :). ur a smart dude but dru give it up ya dumb fucking canuck 8D patrick-roy.jpg