Current Avi condition s in the Sister's range?

i_like_sun

I'm thinking of banging out the North Twin on Friday via mtn bike and splitboard, and am curious if anyone has any current personal experience with the snowpack right now. Its warming up on Friday, and I'm tryings to avoid dying in some massive death slide.

Any wisdom is RAAAAAD

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowhere near ;)

At Washington Pass we found an icy spring crust with 2 inches of new snow on top. We could produce small slab fractures with the new snow we found. Since then new snow has piled up some more.

The next day it was warmer. On sun facing aspects point release avalanches would go.

It's a long way between the Sisters and WA pass, but an icy spring layer with new snow on top could be bad.

Just got back from the Washington Pass myself. Wednesday night it was snowing hard. Thursday warmed up, but still with some snow showers off and on. Lots of evidence of sliding from rocks and some larger slabs as well. I intentionally triggered a small (30-40m wide) slide on a SW aspect that sent the top 8" downhill 200m or so. As evening came a crust was forming. Today was more on and off filtered sunshine with occasional snow showers.

The past two days of warming may have cooked a bit of instability out of all the recent new snow, but there is plenty more stuff ready to cause trouble when we get some more warming or more prolonged sunshine in the next few days. If you are out this weekend, be careful and wary of warming.