[TR] Red Rocks - Rainbow Wall Original Route 4/17/2010

Trip: Red Rocks - Rainbow Wall Original Route

Date: 4/17/2010

Trip Report:

Did the Rainbow Wall Original Route, or Herbst/Hamilton Route. Sweet route, has the classic route quality of being a striking line when veiwed from afar.

RAINBOW_WALL_2010_001FIX.jpg

Edited by beaconben

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip: Red Rocks - Rainbow Wall Original Route

Date: 4/17/2010

Trip Report:

Did the Rainbow Wall Original Route, or Herbst/Hamilton Route. Sweet route, has the classic route quality of being a striking line when veiwed from afar.

We were up at Brownstone Wall around April 10th(give or take) and admired a couple folks making steady progress up Rainbow. Looks like a spectacular line. Congrats! :tup:

I want pictures darn it :wazup: Need something to get me through the day :crosseye:

when waiting on ben, it's generally a good idea to bring a book, a tall frosty drink w/ an umbrella sticking out of it, and a benevolent sense of patience! :lmao:

good jorb dood! i admire how you always get the shit done w/o missing a chance to sniff every flower upon the way! :rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

Alex's solo of that route is hard to comprehend, those cruxes are slick.

A few bits of beta: Keep your climbing shoes on and French Free this route. I was fortunate not to have to aid any of the pitches, but I was watching closely to see if it would be doable by French Freeing, yes it looks doable that way. Many of the cruxes are followed by easier moves, in many cases the cruxes are near bolts, you could aid off a few bolts and then free climb to the anchors.

Hauling doesn't seem worth it, the route isn't that long. Being in the shade I bet you could climb in the late Spring when the days are long and have plenty of time for a aid/french free. The descent is easy raps right down the wall, even in the dark it would be easy to do.

As for the bolts. I've heard aid climbers complain about them. My feeling is that the bolts were a good idea, this is a high traffic area on soft sandstone. Without the bolts the only option for climbing (free or aid ) was nailing the seam. With the bolts in place the whole route is doable on clean gear that won't damage the rock.

-Nate

Edited by eldiente

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...