[TR] leavenworth, smith, vantage - many 5/2/2010

Trip: leavenworth, smith, vantage - many

Date: 5/2/2010

Trip Report:

I've not posted a trip report in a while. I enjoy reading other peoples trip reports, so I thought it was time I repaid the favor. These are photos from several weekend trips over the late winter and spring, ending with last weekend in Leavenworth.

Climbing for me is not just about the rock, it's also about the friendship around the campfire at night, so my first picture is of my edgeworksclimbing friends jamming at Skull Hollow campground over Spring Break. Dave and I enjoyed the sound so much we recorded it later in a makeshift studio and you can here it here:

Dave and Mark play the climbing blues song

IMG_1585.jpg

Dave is on the left. Joel, on the right, is the resident Mayor of Smith, waiting out a rain shower. I seem to run into Joel everywhere I go, from Smith to Yosemite to Joshua Tree, Joel is there.

IMG_1706.jpg

Hangdogging my way up New Testament 5.10a, Smith. It was not pretty.

IMG_0755.jpg

Brett, leading Toys in the Attic, 5.9, Smith in a heavy rain storm. It stays dry.

IMG_1715.jpg

Brett, leading Toys in the Attic, 5.9, Smith

IMG_1722.jpg

Natalie following Craig up a 10c at Vantage

IMG_1522.jpg

Dave leading Poison Ivy

IMG_1833.jpg

Dave leading "Just another sucker on the vine", 5.8, Leavenworth

IMG_1875.jpg

Dave leading "Just another sucker on the vine", 5.8, Leavenworth

IMG_1910.jpg

Craig racking up for Vertigo at the Peshastin Pinnacles. I used to lead this back in the day with stoppers and hexes. The new gear makes it much easier and safer.

IMG_1983.jpg

Vertigo has very clean and solid rock over much of the route. The stemming here is challenging.

IMG_1991.jpg

You can see the size of the route here. Craig is just entering the upper chimney section. There is smaller gear off to the left, but it does not look as solid as the big chimney gear.

IMG_2013.jpg

He goes for the Big Bro. Craig bought this last fall on sale and vowed to carry it until he placed it.

IMG_2037.jpg

The Peshastin Pinnacles is very beautiful in the evening light. The orchards stretch forever out across the valley.

IMG_2040.jpg

Pitch one, Winter Solstice 5.6, Castle Rock, Leavenworth. This was Cameron's second day on rock. Craig forgot to bring a helmet for her.

IMG_2066.jpg

Cameron on the second pitch of Winter Solstice where it requires precise footwork.

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

Cameron safe on the top of what many would call a "girl friend route". She was a real trooper, but I thing Craig was wondering if Castle was the best place for a first date.

IMG_2119.jpg

Gear Notes:

your standard el cap rack

Approach Notes:

no longer than 20 minutes anywhere.

Edited by markwebster

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

yeah, Damnation stayed dry. I usually don't lead it this early in the year...good omen I guess. I'd love to see those photos. Post 'em here if you want, or email?

It was fun seeing the Castle parking lot getting busy. I love that place. My buddies Dave and Phil got 10 pitches in that day, all on Castle.

Great seeing you guys!