Define EPIC.

luvshaker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while OP obviously needs to have been shot out of a volcano, picked up by a thunderbird in the air, and dropped atop Hyperion redwood before the epic category begins to be broached (and that is probably on the weak sauce end of epic for him), i have noticed an irritating (early on-set crotchetyism at 28?) up-tick in the use of the word epic, and used for mundane statements. Like calling every accidental crotch-punch/smash on america's funniest home videos an "epic fail". Epic this epic that, about at the level of epic tacos. not quite as epic as epic clams though.

dictionary

epic- pertaining to a long poetic composition usually centered around a hero, in which a series of great acheivements or events is narrated in elevated style.

or of unusually great size or extent

That means that pretty much every TR of Ivan's in EPIC. Also, don't diss the taco till you've seen it. It could have been a bear taco.

My definition of epic is climbing Town Crier at Index back in the day(1977) and when just as you make it past the triple overhang pitch, a enormous storm rolls in and turns the wall into a roaring river/waterfall. You are both 18, have only one 50 meter rope, the only choice is to push on as no retreat seems possible. All cotton clothing, hanging at the belays for hours shaking uncontrollably, feeling the water sucking the heat and the life from your body as you slowly fight your way upwards knowing your time is limited if you do not keep moving. The old Whillans harness you have cuts the circulation to your legs, so that you cannot feel them anymore. Your fingers are blocks of ice, and your body is shutting down, and it becomes difficult to think clearly. As you finally top out in the dark and the storm, you realize when you had used the term "epic" in the past, you had probably not realized what it really meant.

or climbing with Ivan....

but on the other hand, i bet the walk down off the top of the wall was an ecstatic one! :rawk:

was the triple overhang as much a via ferrata as it is today? i think i place maybe 2 pieces of my own on that thing!