[TR] wa pass - birthday tour 5/1/2010

spionin

Trip: wa pass - birthday tour

Date: 5/1/2010

Trip Report:

crap, i didn't mean to throw this into ice forum (habit, weird)...

doug (cbcbd), dave (dbconlin), karsen, and i went out and did the birthday tour this saturday. it was awesome.

i tried this tour last year (this same weekend), for my first go at tele, and we didn't get super far (surprise!). as it turns out, around the same time, dave and karsen had "the worst tour ever" on this route when their partner's unleashed ski made a trip down into one of the basins, forcing them to spend the day searching for it instead of making sweet turns.

anyways, we all wanted to get back and do it right.

sally%20portman%27s%20birthday%20tour.jpg

the weather was just around freezing with almost no wind, and occasional pockets of fog made for flat lighting, though nothing that ever interfered with route finding. there were a few inches of fresh snow, sometimes over ice on south aspects, which made skinning interesting. the skiing was great, the company was great, and we dispensed with the tour in 5 hours flat. there are tons of options in that area for exploring, it's really awesome.

after the skiing we had some beer and pizza next to the car, and doug and i went over to cascade climbers' annual ski-in for more beer, fire, camping, and hanging out with random skiers. THANKS!!

IMG_3550.JPG

doug skins up

IMG_3553.JPG

at blue lake col

IMG_3556.JPG

dave enjoys the sesh

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

karsen climbs on

P1110885.JPG

at the entrance into the last, narrow, icy coloir

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3589.JPG

P1110918.JPG

P1110922.JPG

doug, relax'n in the backseat

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

P1110877.JPG

how to retrofit skis to prevent your tips from diving :)

IMG_3604.JPG

Edited by spionin

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we picked the left variation getting back into the hairpin side. The other one was just too far away! I just wanted to sit down in the backseat and rest, as all the pictures of me skiing showed.

Fun tour with a fun group. :)

skiing...ice climbing....it is the good times that counts. Nice looking day.

would that route be a good split board route? It looks like it has minimal changeovers between uphill and downhill. How flat is the last valley? Would a snowboard get bogged down in the flats?

feel free to slam snowboarding if you like. I just like it.

Edited by genepires

skiing...ice climbing....it is the good times that counts. Nice looking day.

would that route be a good split board route? It looks like it has minimal changeovers between uphill and downhill. How flat is the last valley? Would a snowboard get bogged down in the flats?

feel free to slam snowboarding if you like. I just like it.

i ain't hatin' :)

yeah, i think it's a good route with distinct skin-up/bomb-down sections. i think i only had to push myself on a flat section at the very end, and it wasn't bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...