HD Video / Camera or Flip?

layton

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a tech junkie- but I am a photography person. I like mine. Although it isn't the most resilient thing. If you want you can get the waterproof case for like 40 bucks that protects it. My screen cracked when I took it up a climb but it still works. For the money you can't beat it.

And yes, the quality is good. There is a HD version available but I find the normal version to be good. The capacity is 120 minutes- plenty for anything short of a Denali trip.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

GoPro HD Hero all the way.

Full 1080p @ 30fps if you want it.

Use mine in 720.

Compact, light and bombproof. Also waterproof to 180ft.

Spare parts, batts and accesories are very resonably priced. Numerable ways to mount it.

Sample footage and more @ http://www.goprocamera.com/

Cons: no zoom and since its wide angle you have some fisheye effect in close quarters.

Other pro: Can be purchased at REI and Backcountry.com so you have their "Unconditional Satisfaction Guarantee"

I have used the go pro and go pro HD and I think it has promise but not worth the $$

-no playback screen so who knows what you just shot is good or not so you wasted memory till you get home

-archaic UI so almost impossible to remember which setting does what.

-camera must be charged on a PC so not sure how you can have spares, the old go pro had removable batteries

-Ihad problems with it in the cold on my helmet with battery life.

It does however have a great mounting system and a good waterproof case, although I think you cannot press buttons underwater so its only so so for waterproof

I have looked at some other cameras and you know can you really go out and buy non HD one...not really.

newest GoPro solved many of the prev. gen nuances.

- 16GB card gives you 4hrs, 32GB 8hrs (720p @ 30fps) so no worries about wasted memory.

- external LCD coming soon, attaches to back. $50-$60 option.

- yes, charges via USB but you can by a car or wall USB adapter for $10 and charge anywhere.

- spare batteries (OEM)are $20. plus external extra batt pack available soon.

- lost some batt life in the cold but still held up fine in -5 degree temps up the full 300M of Mean Grean in Cody. maybe 1.5hrs of vs. the advertised 2.25hrs.

- fully usable under water.

definately not for everybody but well worth looking at and I think is sweet. check it out at REI, if it sucks, take it back!

I have the Panasonic LX3 and it is an awesome camera! The HD video is takes is quite good, but is 720p @ 24 fps and you can't zoom while shooting. All of the climbing videos that I've made this season have been shot on one. The lens is the best thing about this camera and I definitely consider it a great point and shoot camera that happens to take decent video.

That said, I broke down and picked up a Sanyo VPC-CG20 for 180 bucks. It shoots both 1080p @ 30 fps and 720p @ 60 fps, has a 5x optical zoom and so far seems really nice. The best feature? It weighs about 6 oz with battery and SD card.

It is part of Sanyo's "dual camera" line, which shoot both photos and videos. The photos are 10MP, but are no where near the quality of the LX3. If you aren't too worried about publishing your photos and just want them for the web, etc... and want to shoot video, definitely check out the whole dual camera range from Sanyo, there are higher end models that have better sensors and more features.