Good ortho for a dislocated shoulder (Seattle)?

Anyone have a recommendation for a good orthopedic surgeon (shoulder) in the Seattle area? If they have worked with climbers before, all the better.

I've got a left shoulder that pops out from time to time. Original injury was 6 years ago while skiing in CO and it hasn't bothered me much, but this season it's become a bit of a nuisance when climbing at my limit. I think it's time to bite the bullet and take some time off after this season.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orthopedics International has a few good shoulder docs. After 10 dislocations, Dr. Pedegana did my left shoulder in 2008. It's bomber. My right shoulder just started acting up again, so I went back - turns out he retired, but Dr Roberts seems to be very competent. Also, I recommend Pioneer Physical Therapy in the Smith Tower. Those guys rule, they get it, I was back climbing easy stuff 12 weeks after surgery. And the maintenance work has made me a lot stronger.

http://www.orthopedics-intl.net/physicians/index.html

http://www.pioneersportsphysicaltherapy.com/

2227488786_3fa64a67e9.jpg

No question here Neil Roberts, MD is fellowship trained and very skilled however he is a foot and ankle Orthopod; not an upper extremity practitioner, where your concern lies. I've seen him for a foot surgery 2nd opinion in the past and he was knowledgeable. Check out E. Edward Khalfayn, MD at OPA (Seattle Mariner Team Orthopedist and Medical Director). He knows shoulders!

• 2 weeks later...

Christian Peterson at The Sports Medicine clinic did my shoulder last week for a SLAP tear and a loose body. I can't say enough good things about him, friendly, to the point, efficient, both him and his nurse are highly competent, and were always on time. Mike Rogers at Paragon Fitness for PT. Mike is long time competitive athlete, coach, and understands athletes. Anyone needing a foot guy Tom Chi in Bellevue might be the best doctor that's treated me, I've seen the "best", and I work with physicians on a daily basis.

• 1 month later...

I have recurring shoulder dislocation issues as well and am really hesitant to get anything done about it. I have heard that although they can "tighten up" your shoulder so it will not dislocate as easily, there is a risk that you can lose range of motion.

Anyone know how big of a risk this really is?

Was I just told unfounded hearsay?

I would hate to not be able to move my arm above my head... not very conducive to climbing. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Proliance Surgeons is a good practice on the Eastside. I can give specifics if you want.

+1

Mike Sailor completely rebuilt the front of my shoulder, lopped off about 1/8 of my collar bone and relocated my biceps muscle all in one procedure about 2 1/2 years ago. My shoulder today is stronger than it ever has been, and feels great.

Sailor is a former shoulder fellow at the Steadman clinic in Vail...one of the best ortho places around.

Warning: Shoulder surgery is the worst kind of surgery. It is extremely painful and it takes a long time to recover from. Make sure it's the last resort....you will be very unhappy for quite some time if you go through with it. Then, be very patient once the work is done and let the rehab folks work their magic.

Edited by emperorMA

I have recurring shoulder dislocation issues as well and am really hesitant to get anything done about it. I have heard that although they can "tighten up" your shoulder so it will not dislocate as easily, there is a risk that you can lose range of motion.

Anyone know how big of a risk this really is?

Was I just told unfounded hearsay?

I would hate to not be able to move my arm above my head... not very conducive to climbing. Thanks.

It is a very real risk. My shoulder was ridiculously "loose" before the reconstruction...it only took about 7-8 lbs of force to dislocate it frontally. The doc removed the entire capsule and all ligaments in the front, stretched them out and reattached with anchor bolts (eight in all). He told me beforehand that I would lose some range due to the tightening but that I would never need that range unless I was going to be a ball player again. At 45 (at the time), that really wasn't an issue for me.

Today, throwing a ball with any authority is about the only thing I cannot do. Everything else is fine, and I can actually lift quite a bit more weight than I use to.

Edited by emperorMA

• 1 year later...