FS: Kelty spectra 6500, 4500, 4000, misc packs

lopgok

I have far too many packs.

I am selling the following:

These kelty packs are made of spectra, and sewn with kevlar thread. They are likely to take more abuse than any other pack. The daisy chains are spectra. The top lids are spectra. The skirt extension is spectra. Kelty doesn't make them anymore. These packs are all in very good shape. Kelty large means a back size of

19-21 inches, and a medium means 17-19 inches. The waist strap adjusts up or down with velcro, a total of 2 inches.

3 Kelty spectra 6500 large with side pockets and shovel pocket - $350 each

One has green trim and two have red trim.

Pictures and description of the green one: http://www.weasel.com/gear_pack_6500.html

1 Kelty spectra 4500 regular with side pockets and shovel pocket - $350

2 Kelty spectra 4000 regular with side pockets and shovel pocket - $350 each

1 Kelty spectra whitney daypack - This is a bit odd. It is a reversable daypack with spectra on one side, and nylon on the other side. The nylon coating is starting to smell a bit - make me an offer

Pictures and description at: http://www.weasel.com/gear_pack_whitney.html

1 Mountainsmith Phantom - $75

1 WildThings Icesac - $75

General index of all of my packs: http://www.weasel.com/gear_pack.html

Prices do not include shipping. I can provide more pictures.

I will ship anywhere.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can vouch for the packs being awesome. I have a '00 spectra 4500 that is still in great shape after countless climbing days. Just as an indication of how tough they are, I frequently put my crampons in the shovel pouch for roadside gigs (ie N. face Athabasca, etc) and haven't had any trouble. In 10 years.

I use it for everything, hauling loads into camp and stripping it down for the summit.

What the OP doesn't mention is that the packs are very modular. Everything is removable - side pockets, shovel pocket, pack lid, frame, hip belt until you are left with an ultra light, tough spectra sack. I then cinch in the sides and the bottom so it is in the shape of a daypack and I'm set for whatever.

Where this really shines is winter climbing, where you expect to be out for the summit for longer than the day is. Hot down below and the pack is ultralight but huge enough for a parka. Sun goes down and the heavy parka comes on and the pack easily swaps down to the right size, all while being featherlight and tough

I just can't say enough good things about these bags.

Finally, since the comparison will undoubtedly come up - my climbing partner has a cilogear 60L. The shapes are different, the cilogear is a bit "boxier" and has a different type of fabric. The Kelty spectra is a heavier weight (this is by no means a slight against Cilo), but really this is an apples to apples comparison. I prefer my Cloud to the Cilo, and for 350 bucks it is a steal. I paid nearly 800 for mine and it was worth every penny. Anyone with further questions on the comparison is welcome to ask me via PM and I will do my best.

Good luck with the sale.

I think he is referring to the CiloGear Dyneema fabric.

I also have a CiloGear 45L in spectra. It is a slightly lighter fabric compared to the Kelty spectra. It isn't ripstop, but the Kelty spectra is actually spectra ripstop. This is not the nylon fabric with a spectra grid, but a spectra fabric with a heavier spectra grid.

I like spectra for abrasion resistance, rather than its light weight. I tend to have my backpacks wear out due to abrasion, and spectra is roughly 10 times more abrasion resistant, for a given weight of fabric.

I was cleaning one of the Kelty Spectra packs, and I was quite impressed by the amount of detailed work that went into it. The CiloGear pack is more modular, but the Kelty pack is very throughly engineered. The 'frame' consists of 2 'lightbeam' aluminum bars. Lightbeam isn't solid aluminum, but it is corrugated. I have pictures of it on my web site. Nobody else has anything similar. There is a plastic wedge that mates with the bars at the bottom, that fits into the pack. There is a fabric piece that the bars slide inside of. There is a large plastic T shaped piece that reinforces most of the length of the bars. There is a 'lightbeam' aluminum crossbar (on most of the 6500 packs). Threre is a nylon padded piece that covers the big plastic T. The top of the fabric has a metal crossbar built into it. The top of the frame is held at the top of the pack via two adjustable clips.

The cilogear frame consists of HDPE sheet with an aluminum bar, and a folded sheet of high density foam.

Nobody except Kelty sews their pack with kevlar thread. My 1993 mchale spectra pack has some stitching in spectra, but most is in nylon.

It takes the resources of a big company to do the engineering found in the Kelty Spectra packs. I suspect they didn't sell very well, as a result of the high price.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...