WA Pass Beta

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many "main routes" up there on different aspects. I have not been up there this year, but the North Faces of all those formations tend to hold moisture or even verglas, while the south-facing aspects tend to be dry slabs that hold snowpatches. I bet the Beckey Route is climbable, while the neighboring N Face of Concord is still wet and unpleasant. I bet the South Arete of SEWS is intermittent rock and snow, whereas the SW Couloir is filled-in and pleasant after a cold night.

The gullies should be completely snow-filled, and the snowpack is often well-consolidated with appreciable cornices this time of year.

That's my arm-chair guess...

I would ten to agree with Goatboy. I just flew over them last friday doing a looksee for other thngs. Snow level on north aspect slopes was approx 2800 ft. south aspect was close to 5100 in that area. The Becky route catches good afternoon sun and so would be a reasonable bet. If one was so inclined the south arete should be fair too. Of course one could always drive up and get some eyes on it. We have the ski party this weekend and I am going over the next.

Skinned in and climbed the SW Coulior today. What started off as 5-6" of decent pow ended up getting hammered by the sun. The SW Coulior is in great shape but a bit of a wallow- there is a nice trench up it now.

Here are some pics of the Becky route- my zoom wasn't working, but the 3rd pitch was plastered with snow.

The Coulior was a fun wallow. Definitely nice to have 5" of snow over the verglas in the top 100 or so feet. Set off a small slide on the lower steep bit on the way down.

Photos are in the gallery. Maybe some smart person can get the links to work here.

Was snowing pretty hard by the time I reached the base- forecast is calling for a little bit of precip each day through Sat.

Edited by fredrogers

Has anyone been there recently? I'm thinking of something in the area for this weekend since west of the crest looks questionable and I'm wondering what sort of snowpack conditions I might find. Has anyone had the chance to dig a pit or get out there at all in the last 5 days?

• 3 weeks later...