[TR] cathedral rock - possible variation? or new line of the NE buttress 4/26/2010

kukuzka1

Trip: cathedral rock - possible variation? or new line of the NE buttress

Date: 6-20 2003

Trip Report:

maybe someone out their knows a little about the 1984 route. the reason im writing this report is because the 3rd pitch was in my opinion the best pitch of that grade ive ever climbed in the cascades its too bad you have to climb the 1st and 2nd pitches to get their. it may be the 1984 route we did but their are some prominent features that I would have mentioned in a 1st ascent report[roof,rock bulge,yellow rock,large triangle rock]and the grade would be a serious sandbag.the route me and marko climbed in june 2003 started at the same belay tree as the 1984, then we headed left for aprox 20+ feet and then up, over scary,loose,4th and low 5th class rock, aiming for a left facing corner with a thin crack in it, belaying here. then strait up the crack[5.7] to a rock bulge with good jams[5.8+]which takes you to a small roof. exit out left thru some exsposed 5.6/7 climbing and mantel up to a large triangular rock, then more moderate climbing above. a truly awsome pitch. we moved the belay to possibly the same tree/notch as the 1984 route? but the crack up and left of the belay was in yellowish rock and was a short 5.9+ then a belay above, on a left trending ramp[loose rubble]to finish with a short scramble and the summit. so if anyone has any info, would aprieciate. mpreiss

Gear Notes:

stadard alpine rock rack to 4 inches

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jens and I climbed that route on July 20, 2003. I don't remember thinking any of it was remotely classic, but I was distracted by this little gift that the approach gave me:

cathrockgash.jpg

Our first aid kit was one band-aid and a bottle of ibuprofen, so we employed the the socks. Had blood gurgling out of my left rock shoe every step up the route.

A couple more:

Old 1/4" bolt with ring piton and tat

cathrockringpiton.jpg

Jens on the route.

cathrockjens.jpg

Edited by CascadeClimber

• 8 years later...