• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kukuzka1

[TR] Dorado needle - Direct sw buttress 9/4/2005

Trip: Dorado needle - Direct sw buttress

Date: 9/4/2006

Trip Report:

I dont know if anyones done this before me and marko did this? but its a quality two pitch variation to the 1985 sw buttress route with great rock and pro. after exiting the aproach gully instead of traversing right to the cauthorn start go strait up the buttress toe via 4th class rock until you see an obviouse couple vertical cracks on the left center. climb the right crack[5.8] until you must exit right via a small rock pillar[5.9+-5.10]to reach easier ground.the second pitch climbs strait up with a akward couple of 5.8 moves[slightly wet when we did it]then up some solid mid 5th rock to join the regular route at the large white slabs. if its been done my apoligies but it should be out there so climbers looking for a little more difficult rock can enjoy it. mpreiss

Gear Notes:

the 5.8 crack cams/nuts up to 4 inches. the crux thin cams/nuts

Edited by kukuzka1

Did you do this with Mark Bunker? If so, I think my partner and I were right behind you guys on the route. We watched you do the variation and it looked good, but harder than I wanted to lead so we didn't follow you.

I was the one with Dan on that trip. Looked like a nice route, and I recall you guys were cruising!

9/4/2005
A minor detail, but IIRC, we did the trip on the same date in 2006. Edited by pup_on_the_mountain

thanks, I couldnt remember if it was 2005 or 6? also i dropped a new large metoulios cam[blue] on the first pitch, hopefully you found it and are useing it.