Climbin beef - first woman to do all 14 8000ers?

thedome

Interesting little race in the works. Two ladies are one peak away from doing all 14 8000m peaks. One needs Annapurna, and one Shisha Pangma, and it seems like it could end this weekend. Granted, it seems like this is more of a "lead somebody with a lot of money to the top of [insert peak here]" type thing, but still interesting to see how it goes down.

Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8638718.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8638718.stm

There was also another story on BBC of a sherpa expedition to attempt to clean everest of bodies and trash. Also interesting to see how that pans out.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations are in order here.

I guess now we sit back and "armchair climb" the dispute about her Kangchenjunga ascent.

Does anyone here remember Tomo Cesen's controversial Lhotse "summit" shot about 20 years ago? We discussed it here about 6 years ago, when we still had Cavey on board.

Congratulations are in order here.

I guess now we sit back and "armchair climb" the dispute about her Kangchenjunga ascent.

Congragulations on tons of money being spent to haul this publicity whoring "climber" up some snow slogs? Seems to me covering some "race" between these women to obtain an arbitrary goal and paint it with the typical B.S. of national pride is exactly opposiute of what climbing is about. South Korea has a lot to be proud of, not sure why this lady needs to be made a hero.

Well, Josh, assuming that she actually did get to the top of all 14 (Kangchenjunga notwithstanding), how she did it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, does it? I mean, if she was dropped on the top of each summit by some space-age helicopter or something, that would of course negate the feat. Vis-à-vis, no individual effort applied.

The fact that she took every single step (whether on her own or short-roped, à la Sandy Hill-Pitman) qualifies her for the recognition being bestowed upon her for this accomplishment, and a congratulatory acknowledgement is warranted. By way of another example, are we to say that Sandy Hill-Pittman did not summit Everest in 1996 because she was short-roped to the top by a Sherpa? No, we do not say that, and the fact remains that Hill-Pittman did indeed summit, although the style in which she summitted certainly left something to be desired. And we all agree that in climbing, points are awarded for style...

The fact that she took every single step (whether on her own or short-roped, à la Sandy Hill-Pitman) qualifies her for the recognition being bestowed upon her for this accomplishment

True, I guess I just find the distasteful "national pride" event and such a total load of B.S. It's a logistical and financial accomplishment...of other people none the less. But to each her own I supposse. And hey, when it comes down to it, if somebody offered me all of the money and time necessary to accomplish this feat (first blonde haired Jew to summit all 8000ers maybe? ;)) you'd find me with my new Sherpa friends sloggin' my ass up them too!

True, I guess I just find the distasteful "national pride" event and such a total load of B.S. It's a logistical and financial accomplishment...of other people none the less. But to each her own I supposse. And hey, when it comes down to it, if somebody offered me all of the money and time necessary to accomplish this feat (first blonde haired Jew to summit all 8000ers maybe? ;)) you'd find me with my new Sherpa friends sloggin' my ass up them too!

I say congratulations... all of 21 people in the world have done it -- and now a woman. In my opinion that's awesome.

It's so clique to discredit Himalayan climbers. :rolleyes:

It's so clique to discredit Himalayan climbers. :rolleyes:

social climbers you mean?

Find goal that's unaccomplished (or make one up). Apply large amount of money. Impress goal-oriented tools with irrelevant goal.

True, I guess I just find the distasteful "national pride" event and such a total load of B.S.

Remember how many starsn'bars were waving when eddy v made himself the first yank to the top of the 14?

I was too aroused by the biggest hunk of studly mountaineering man meat since Big Lou